• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Thinking about a baby dmax

red

Being a lake bum in Texas
Reaction score
With the older medium duty truck covering the heavy tow rig requirements I'm thinking about getting a Canyon with the 2.8. Crew cab, 4x4 to cover daily driving, some offroad, and maybe occasional light towing.

Not really interested in the 1/2 ton market.

Guys at work that drive them like them, except the bigger built guys say they wish they just had the 1/2 ton for more space in the cab.
I say look for a rental outfit near you that has one you can rent for a week, and go put on a bunch of miles. Somethings just have to be experienced to see if you like it.

Ain't much cheaper and not much smaller than a 1/2 ton. Get rid of the diesel before the warranty expires. The extended warranty you make them throw in the deal, eh. The 'made elsewhere' bean-counter diesel has a reputation for breaking wrist pins. Typical GM: now shoves this underpowered $hitshow in a 3/4 ton van.

With the lower price of gasoline (as well as lower TCO) and GM's ability to make a decent gas engine you should really look at a gas engine. MPG of gas engines is in the emissions strangled diesel ballpark anyway.

An older S-10 esp with a manual trans may be something to look at. Although GM's troublesome Lemon Bean Counter clutch design really sucked on them. I take it back: a Dakota pickup with a V-8 is a helluva lot more fun.

Guys at work that drive them like them, except the bigger built guys say they wish they just had the 1/2 ton for more space in the cab.
I say look for a rental outfit near you that has one you can rent for a week, and go put on a bunch of miles. Somethings just have to be experienced to see if you like it.

I'm 5ft 10in, in good shape so shouldn't have a fitment issue.

Really don't like gas but will consider an s10 crew cab.

You’ll be cozy - it rides nice for a truck.
Dare I ask why a small pickup for DD since you have a big truck?

You’ll be cozy - it rides nice for a truck.
Dare I ask why a small pickup for DD since you have a big truck?

Picking up parts when the bigger truck needs them, nasty cargo, etc.

Might decide not to get it, but having only 1 vehicle is a problem for me lol.

Sorry, I didn’t phrase well. I mean why not a car? Some guys only like trucks and dont like cars- I get that.
But guys get caught in truck mode often and later realize a car might have been a better choice for application of just moving a couple people rather than stuff.
Not that I can say whats a good car worth buying that doesn’t cost half a house...

Reactions: red
Sorry, I didn’t phrase well. I mean why not a car? Some guys only like trucks and dont like cars- I get that.
But guys get caught in truck mode often and later realize a car might have been a better choice for application of just moving a couple people rather than stuff.
Not that I can say whats a good car worth buying that doesn’t cost half a house...

Thats what I figured you were asking.

Car doesn't work for me the same way that the motorcycle as the daily had problems, dirty cargo. Muddy, things that are grease covered, etc.

That and my driveway, no car is getting up it even if I get it paved. The approach angle is too steep.

You should hold out awhile until vehicle prices become reasonable. The value of used vehicles is going UP in KBB from 1-2 years ago. Older. More Miles. Worth More. No Supply for the demand due to China Virus dead factory workers and non-stop lockdowns.

Otherwise, yeah, brand new is the only real decent price out there if you can find anything in a pickup. New HD 3/4 ton and 1 Tons are selling fast here.

You should hold out awhile until vehicle prices become reasonable. The value of used vehicles is going UP in KBB from 1-2 years ago. Older. More Miles. Worth More. No Supply for the demand due to China Virus dead factory workers and non-stop lockdowns.

Otherwise, yeah, brand new is the only real decent price out there if you can find anything in a pickup. New HD 3/4 ton and 1 Tons are selling fast here.

Yea this wouldn't be happening quite yet, 1st priority is debt free then doing the main stuff to the 3500hd.

Considered a newer 3/4 or 1 ton to essentially replace the hd and stay with just 1 vehicle, but the emissions equipment would be an issue along with the price tag. When I tow it tends to be heavy enough to work them, its not constant load. So that idea is out of the question.

Small truck on the other hand would be nearly constantly loaded some which makes the emissions stuff happier and less troublesome.

Funny thing is, the weight a Canyon can tow is almost identical to the 3500hd's cargo capacity with the new bed hahahaha.

Don't let weight rating sway the decision. I just got out of a nearly-new vehicle because of that. The thing was rated to to just over 9K#, but its suspension got uncomfortably squishy when I had ~8K# on the hook. That vehicle had plenty of power, but the soft suspension was the killer.

As a comparison, the GMT400 3/4 ton Burb was solid all the way to its rated load / tow capacity. I even towed just as heavy with a GMT9XX Burb and same thing: solid.

Back to Will's comment to rent first. Might want to consider this before getting stuck with a vehicle where the load numbers were cooked.

Interesting to find on these. Familiar with the small 5th wheel campers before, looks like these trucks are handling them well according to the owners.

attachments.jpgScreenshot_20210119-202534_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Just saying New England is flat-earther vs. out west in The Rockies.

IMO you are one of the few people who will often face the problem of "Not Enough Truck."

I had a 2000 Sonoma, V6, 2WD. GM will re-arch your rear leaf springs under warranty only once. When I got it I didn't expect to have a 6x12' U-Haul trailer behind it every weekend as a side job hauling heavy stuff.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Just saying New England is flat-earther vs. out west in The Rockies.

IMO you are one of the few people who will often face the problem of "Not Enough Truck."

I had a 2000 Sonoma, V6, 2WD. GM will re-arch your rear leaf springs under warranty only once. When I got it I didn't expect to have a 6x12' U-Haul trailer behind it every weekend as a side job hauling heavy stuff.

Lol not saying I'm going that way if I do get the Canyon. The 3500hd has lifetime registration and covers my heavier towing and soon lifting requirements. Only problem with it that can't be reasonably addressed is being a regular cab.

Even with the new gin pole bed the HD will have 6-7,000 lbs cargo capacity, let alone when towing. Its position as tow pig is solid. Canyon wouldn't be for towing

Back