• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4 wheel drive problem

cr500taco

Reaction score
I have a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with an 6.2 liter motor and 6 speed auto transmission.
Over the past few months the truck has failed to go into 4 low at times and the service 4 wheel drive light comes on once in a while. I changed the transmission and transercase fluid but the light continues to come on sometimes. Now it will not engage in either 4 low or 4 hi. I have a push button selection on my dash to engage the 4 wheel drive and neither the 4 hi or 4 low will light up or engage. If anyone has any ideas of how to engage 4 wheel drive on gmc sierra, please let me know. Thanks!

Careful what you wish for: It could shift into 4WD and stay there. Then you need to tow it or do what everyone else does and drive it at 80MPH stuck in 4WD till the transfer case explodes. Maybe insurance will cover that... :facepalm:

How often do you shift it in and out of 4WD and 4WD low? The position indicator contacts get dirty from not being used and can cause trouble. Several 2WD to 4WD Low shifts can clear this up.

If it is giving you a service 4wd light, you need to have it scanned with a high end scanner that can read tccm codes. It could be any number of things, without pulling the codes, you might as well just start setting $100 bills on fire because you'll get the same end result.

Back