• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

92 ABS

ak diesel driver

6.5 driver
Reaction score
So my Studebaker project is sitting on a 92 blazer 4wd chassis. It has 4 wheel ABS, I've heard they're failure prone. I like the idea of ABS and was wondering if there are any updated parts I can use? Can I swap to a newer unit?

I can't express how bad these 1992 GM 4 wheel ABS systems were. Worked isn't the correct word to use. You are better off without this low bidder ABS system that simply releases the brakes so you can't stop.

GM's low bidder idea for 1992 4 Wheel ABS was to Simply. Release. Brakes. You then don't stop. I bent the brake pedal on one of those 1992 POS systems in a clone Olds Bravada (A total POS in it's own right and a dammed good example why Olds is no longer a GM brand anymore) trying to get the dammed thing to stop. Generally they "go off" when you hit the paint stripe for say a crosswalk and simply don't recover and keep going off. I had hit an ice patch, but, was off of it and the ABS was still going off when it plowed into the car ahead of me that, now like me, wasn't on ice. I would have stopped just fine if the ABS hadn't released the brakes over the initial skidding.

I would go newer or leave the 1992 ABS "off". It's simply dangerous and that's not figuring the major changes of a different vehicle sitting on top of it.

As far as I know, the full size Blazer used the same 3 channel abs as other 82-94 full size SUV's. It is not a system like WW describes, only RWAL worked that way. It's just an earlier version of the one used on 95-02 gmt-400's. I believe parts were far more limited for it than the 95+ version because the 92-94 was only used by GM for gmt400 SUV's and some vans. The 95+ system was used in all gmt400's, vans, and many Dodge's. I'm sure the 95 system could be swapped in fairly easily.

So the 96+ will work but would have to swap the wiring plug?
The actual abs unit is the same from 95-02. The module on it was 1 style for 95 for obd1, and changed in 96 for obd2. You could use the 96-02 style, you would just have to put in an obd2 plug to be able to scan the abs unit if you ever needed to.

Also make sure yours has a vssb(2 sets of jumpers inside) and not the older style drac(1 set of jumpers). 92 could have either, but you need a vssb to work correctly with the later style abs.

Back