• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1994 K3500 extended cab dually

n8in8or

I never met a project I didn’t like
Reaction score
Time to start a new truck thread......this past weekend I got a new truck, a 94 K3500 extended cab dually. I've been needing a more comfortable truck for hauling - the 90 F350 4x4 IDI, wasn't comfortable and being non-turbo was seriously lacking power. I had planned to add more power to that by either building up a 7.3 or doing a DT360 swap, but I decided that I should communize my rigs to be GM and 6.5 diesel, so I'm starting the changeover with this truck. I was wanting to go with a square body crew cab dually, but was going to stick with 2wd for ride comfort and probably get one with a 454 that I would swap to a 6.5 later (this would be controversial to some, I know). Well this rig popped up on Facebook marketplace and seemed like a good buy. This truck had been purchased from the original owner's grandson by the person I bought it from. It was said that the grandson blew up the original engine and then put a GM crate engine in it. Then the original trans went so it then got a new transmission. Then at 66,000 miles on the engine something got in one of the cylinders and damaged a piston. The guy I bought it from bought it, swapped the piston, swapped the heads, put it back together with ARP studs and was ready to start driving it. Well it was leaking fuel from an injector and then it stalled on him and together with other life events decided he didn't want to keep messing with it so he put it up for sale. It's pretty clean underneath for a Michigan truck, though it's not perfect....but it is a good start for what you'll find around here. I haven't taken it off the trailer yet and probably won't get to mess with it for a couple weeks, but at least it's home. Plans are to get it running and driving well in stock form with the bare essential oil cooler and PMD upgrades - that's when I'll sell the F350. Then the K3500 is going to get modified...….. Right now I'm thinking the drivetrain from the Tahoe is going to go in it.....so DB2 conversion, header, larger turbo, intercooler, etc., it should make for a strong trailer toter. Once the Tahoe is done being restored I'll build something stronger for that. I'll update this thread as I make progress.

Here is a pic of the truck:

IMG_6234.jpg

Here are the parts that came with it. I do love extra parts! I think the 599 was rebuilt at some time because the pistons have anodized tops. I'll have to pull the pan and see if the block has any cracks.....hopefully I have another good short block on the shelf.

IMG_6235.jpg
IMG_6238.jpgIMG_6239.jpg

IMG_6236.jpg

There was even a 96 single thermostat housing in the stash!

IMG_6237.jpg

I'm super excited to be getting behind the wheel of a 6.5 sooner rather than later!!

Feel like I need to buy a case of popcorn and sharpen my note taking pencil!!

I think the “dont gas to diesel swap” is not a concern for anyone with you at the wheel. Most folks don’t realize they would have to do a few extra things and jury rig it or not do it at all. Not your issues- haha.

@n8in8or " I think the 599 was rebuilt at some time because the pistons have anodized tops." Far as I can tell H.O. 6.5 Turbo engines had coated pistons from the factory. All 6.5TD's were H.O. when offered alongside the NA 6.2 and 6.5. NA engines didn't have coated pistons. You can buy aftermarket pistons that are not coated. Ask me about engine oil failure from high oil temps and un-coated pistons...

I hope it will be. I was doing some research and stumbled on your My New Truck thread. I’ll have a little reading to do on that.

Feel like I need to buy a case of popcorn and sharpen my note taking pencil!!

I think the “dont gas to diesel swap” is not a concern for anyone with you at the wheel. Most folks don’t realize they would have to do a few extra things and jury rig it or not do it at all. Not your issues- haha.

Ha! I still want to do a square body crew cab dually with a 6.5, but it will be a couple years down the road. But now I can use this truck to do a road trip and grab one from a state not in the rust belt.

@n8in8or " I think the 599 was rebuilt at some time because the pistons have anodized tops." Far as I can tell H.O. 6.5 Turbo engines had coated pistons from the factory. All 6.5TD's were H.O. when offered alongside the NA 6.2 and 6.5. NA engines didn't have coated pistons. You can buy aftermarket pistons that are not coated. Ask me about engine oil failure from high oil temps and un-coated pistons...

Good to know. It will definitely be getting torn down before I do anything with it so I can know the whole story inside it

I’m ready to see how this thing gets transformed.

Thanks, me too :)

Here’s the piston and head that the guy removed from the engine. It’s no hose clamp, but still pretty good damage.

0A549B8F-BE17-40FE-AE16-243D0FCACA42.jpegEA3D374A-9627-4ABC-80FA-898E795B3795.jpeg

I did some poking around the engine to see how lucky I got. I was hoping it was an Optimizer since it was a newer GM engine. I saw the 506 in the valley, but couldn’t see the Navistar diamond with the pump installed.

3FDC25C8-6566-414A-B906-918462460A68.jpeg

I could just barely see the date code so I got my phone back in there to snap a pic. Not a Navistar, but a late 99, so if it isn’t cracked it will be one to build later and see how hard it can be pushed. But with it’s history and not knowing how well the guy put it back together I will be putting a different engine in there to push hard (probably the Hoe’s engine).

B7E83C82-117B-4EAB-B8EC-E8052DC3E43F.jpeg

Did a couple small things yesterday. First thing I did was address a leaking injector. It was leaking where the two halves of the body come together. I took it apart and cleaned everything really well. I noticed it was a French 304 nozzle. I put it all back together and luckily it didn’t leak any longer - nice to not have to do any lapping.

Next thing was to diagnose the non-working lift pump. That too was easy - I had 13.6 volts at the lift pump’s plug, so it’s a bad lift pump. Right now I’m just trying to get the truck running/driving in stock form so rather than start going crazy on the fuel system now I just ordered an AC Delco EP1000 fuel pump for it. I’ll have that Monday.

Then I addressed the PMD. It had some craptastic PMD relocation bracket that had it hanging off the intake.

1E07D99B-D4A5-4466-AC47-EC36C017F184.jpeg

I found my old PMD, heatsink and harness from Leroy that used to be on the Tahoe. It’s nice having some cast-off upgrade parts in stock.

148BC640-4296-4116-8237-BEB64E3F6E49.jpeg

I installed it next to the left snorkel in the bumper.

174D330C-EC0E-4463-AF2D-D1C318426711.jpeg

I then removed the broken fog lights and their associated wiring.

09826546-17DF-4D4E-9C5E-C00F2E748DDA.jpeg

Final thing I did was install my Detroit Diesel license plate.

31BB9CF0-3398-4466-B3A1-B069A79FF6BB.jpeg

Up next is brake lines and hoses.

Are you parting the Tahoe out? :wtf: That ride was a rocket!
MOST DEFINITELY NOT!! I still have a ways to go on the body work (yes, because I keep inserting other projects), and I was already planning on going bigger/better with the Tahoe, so this lets me enjoy and use what I’ve already done with the Tahoe now, plus see what that combo can do as a tow pig. More to come for the Hoe....😎

MOST DEFINITELY NOT!! I still have a ways to go on the body work (yes, because I keep inserting other projects), and I was already planning on going bigger/better with the Tahoe, so this lets me enjoy and use what I’ve already done with the Tahoe now, plus see what that combo can do as a tow pig. More to come for the Hoe....😎
A 572 BBC, or?

Oh man......I’m gonna get so much crap for this......

So since Krovvy is taking so much longer than intended to get on the road, and since it’s almost June and I have no intention of trying to tow our camper with the Envoy again, it was time to get a truck on the road (hmmm, this sounds familiar). So my current, best option is to get this truck on the road. It will be mostly stock, but at least comfortably capable of towing the trailer. Last night I pulled it in the barn. Yep, 2 ECLB trucks fit at the same time!!

8B13E40F-E99E-406F-A348-1A602336E74B.jpegD910A1DC-3EF4-4AC6-8426-275B8989A79D.jpeg

One of the main things keeping me from driving the truck was the blown rear brake line. It seemed silly to repair that without first inspecting the rear brakes, so apart they came tonight. Predictably, they’re junk. One drum is worn way oversize and the shoes are covered in gear lube on both sides. So now I have brake parts on order.

868740BA-9E70-40F8-80CB-108DEEBA2B15.jpeg

Back