• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

O2 Sensors - Parts store vs Online

treegump

Romans 3:22-24
Reaction score
I get a lot of my parts from the local Napa - enough that they created an account where I get a discount, haha.

Anyhow - The upper and lower O2 sensors for my 09 HHR, total, was over $120, I think.

But than I go on Amazon and I find them at for a combination of under $70.

Are there brands to lean towards for sensors?

Delco is the best for Our GM wehicles, regardless of year or model.
Depending on the price and how big a hurry i am in, i always check with Rockauto first. If I am needing it like right now, I go to Oriellys and ask the if they have the part in the Delco brand, if not in stock they can usually have it on the next days delivery. if they do not have it at all, then, still depending, i go to Rock Auto and if I am in a real big hurry, NAPA and their brand.

Something to be aware of is warranty.
When the bosch glowplug failed in my hummer it ruined my piston. Lucky that is all it ruined. Bosch would have been liable and would have paid $300 or so in parts and $1200 in labor- EXCEPT I bought them from amazon. Bosch does not honor any online warranty that is not an authorized dealer. They said if I bought it in a brick and mortar store like Oriellys or Autozone, then they would have covered it if it were within the 1 year warranty period. They say there is knock off parts being made and cant otherwise prove where it was made...

Temptation was -go buy a set from the store then turn in the claim a month later as if it just happened.

I remembered making a comment here years ago about AC Delco suing amazon over w bunch of bogus warranty stuff because there was knock off Delco parts being sent back to Delco through amazon that were knock offs. I learned this talking with one of the Delco employees chasing a problem of some kind. He said it wasn’t until the opened up parts that they realized it wasn’t made by them- the outside looked exact.

So the lesson learned is cheaper online does not mean you are getting the same part. If it’s something like a 6.5 starter brace it will work or it wont. But if it is electrical- you might be getting some piece of junk with a fake name on it. So you better know the source you are buying from. That $20 saved might be in the trashcan next month along with the part.

Something to be aware of is warranty.
When the bosch glowplug failed in my hummer it ruined my piston. Lucky that is all it ruined. Bosch would have been liable and would have paid $300 or so in parts and $1200 in labor- EXCEPT I bought them from amazon. Bosch does not honor any online warranty that is not an authorized dealer. They said if I bought it in a brick and mortar store like Oriellys or Autozone, then they would have covered it if it were within the 1 year warranty period. They say there is knock off parts being made and cant otherwise prove where it was made...

Temptation was -go buy a set from the store then turn in the claim a month later as if it just happened.

I remembered making a comment here years ago about AC Delco suing amazon over w bunch of bogus warranty stuff because there was knock off Delco parts being sent back to Delco through amazon that were knock offs. I learned this talking with one of the Delco employees chasing a problem of some kind. He said it wasn’t until the opened up parts that they realized it wasn’t made by them- the outside looked exact.

So the lesson learned is cheaper online does not mean you are getting the same part. If it’s something like a 6.5 starter brace it will work or it wont. But if it is electrical- you might be getting some piece of junk with a fake name on it. So you better know the source you are buying from. That $20 saved might be in the trashcan next month along with the part.

What he said. The knock off parts problem is like a plague. Bit me a few times. 2 Alternators among other things. The cheaper stuff is usually not worth the trouble to pay double in the long run.

I stick with AC Delco or Delphi for o2 sensors on GM's. Especially if it's a customers vehicle. Bosch will set a heater code right out of the box.

I make my judgment on my personal vehicles based on what shape they are in. Our Tahoe gets AC Delco and dealer parts. My s10 beater... well probably isn't legal to drive in certain states due to the rust. That will get CHEAP parts till it dies.

It doesn't stop there, I deal with DOE & DOD daily and have had to attend suspect counterfeit training. Black market counterfeiting is a huge business, one othe thi gs that struck me was, electrical breakers they are bringing them in and they are just switches, look exactly the same. Then they take them to big box stores and return them for gift cards. So they pay a quarter each and get up to 10 dollars in gift cards each. Then my house burns down..

They said if I bought it in a brick and mortar store like Oriellys or Autozone, then they would have covered it if it were within the 1 year warranty period.

So you better know the source you are buying from. That $20 saved might be in the trashcan next month along with the part.

So - Rockauto is still safe then?

Back