• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Kick down cable rl700,83 chevy scottsdale

Scottsdale 83

Reaction score
transmission shifts only at very high rpm and then only after letting off the gas pedal. Just noticed the kick down cable was not attached to carb.cant find a place to hook it up. Could that be this major shifting problem? If so which side of the carb does it attach? I can't even find a bracket.does it attach to the throttle? does anyone know if they have an external modulator valve? Any info is very appreciated! Thanks

Your kick down cable is probably the issue, if it is extended, the trans thinks you are at full throttle and won’t let it shift when should.

Its been too many years to for me remember exactly what everything looks like, but if you post a few pics of it- should be able to describe how it hooks up. Or maybe someone else here can describe what I forgot. (Thats a long list. Haha)

Your kick down cable is probably the issue, if it is extended, the trans thinks you are at full throttle and won’t let it shift when should.

Its been too many years to for me remember exactly what everything looks like, but if you post a few pics of it- should be able to describe how it hooks up. Or maybe someone else here can describe what I forgot. (Thats a long list. Haha)
Makes sense and I'll definitely post some pics in the morning.that is if I can figure out how to post a pic.like you I've forgotten more about the old trucks than I could ever relearn.ive missed the simplicity,power and ride of the old Chevy trucks.love it!

It's a half ton. I was told by a man who runs the transmission shop here that it was a 700R4.i may have got the number wrong in the description.
He said it wasn't actually a kick down cable but was there to make the transmission shift from gear to gear smoothly.he didn't tell me what it was actually called and kept referring to it as a kick down cable.

Is this a 700r4 or a th400? 1/2t or 3/4?
700s had a TV cable th400s had a kickdown
I'll have to Google TV cable.im not familiar with that but the cable is on the left side of the engine and shouldn't it hook up on the right side of the carb? There's no place to hook it up there either. I planned on posting a pic of it so someone possibly could give me some pointers but having problems posting the pic. Do you know where tv cable hooks up? Left or right?

The throttle valve (TV) cable on the 700r4 is perhaps the single greatest reason the transmission fails because of improper setting....modern aftermarket came out with a constant pressure valve body to remedy this problem.
Does this constant pressure valve body attach to the inside or outside of the transmission?really sounds like something I should look into. I attached the cable in the proper spot and even with the throttle completely closed I still lack about two inches reaching the hookup on the throttle. I've had more Chevys than I can count over the years and have never encountered or heard of this problem.what I wouldn't give to have a good ole 350 turbo or powerglide right now.lol

Back