• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Repainting hood, Prep Advice?

Big T

Reaction score
Clear coat is frosty white on the hood, so it's due to be repainted. Doing a real job, not a rattle can. I have a DA sander. Do I need to take it down to the metal, primer and paint? Or just sand out the existing paint and paint over it?

I do need a sprayer. Any recommendations?

Are you doing just the clear coat or paint and clear coat.

Make sure to use a air dryer on the air compressor when you are spraying. That way there’s no moisture mixing with the paint or clear coat

Are you doing just the clear coat or paint and clear coat.

Make sure to use a air dryer on the air compressor when you are spraying. That way there’s no moisture mixing with the paint or clear coat

Figure I need to do both paint and clear coat.

I think taking it down to the metal and then primer and paint would give better longer lasting results. As far as the sprayer, I havent looked into them in a long time. I don’t remember what brand mine is. Next time I go to my parents house I’ll look in my shop and see what brand it is. It worked good for everything that I used it on.

Buddy of mine who does a fair amount of painting says to go to home Depot and buy their $70 gun works just as good as the more expensive ones but cheap enough to almost be disposable.

Thanks, I will check on that one. I already have a sprayer, never used, but old. It has an aluminum paint container that hangs below. Most of the modern have plastic containers on top.

If the decision is to take the hood down to metal, I have grown fond of water soluble chemical strippers. Paint-on, wipe / peel-off, and no need to wear a particle mask. Waste is easily contained. Clean-up is with water.

Gravity fed is usually hvlp, High Volume Low Pressure. The suction type with the reservoir underneath is hvhp : high volume high pressure.

Almost all new paint guns now days are hlvp which works the air compressor less, more even painting, less overspray, less orange peel, etc. Pretty much better all around. If you have a good hvhp gun now and are familiar with it, just painting a hood and maybe blending into fenders, just do the one you know. If you were going to paint the entire truck, it may be worth it to upgrade.

I like the gravity fed ones, Can't remember where I bought the set of 3 I have now. 2 are pint size with different nozzles and the other is a touch up size, they all work well. Could be Canadian Tire.

Back