• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hello from Norway!

svein

Reaction score
Hello!

My name is Svein. Since I got a ride with my drivers license teachers Starcraft van, I´ve been in love with Chevys.
I´ve previously had a 1992 G30 Starcraft, 1995 G30 Starcraft and a 1999 Starcraft express van. After 9 years with the express van, I´ve now moved on to a 1999 Suburban K1500 with a 6.5TD. I hope it´s going to be my car for the next 10 years, so I´m in the progress of customizing it to my desires. My car knowledge is limited, but I´m learning along and by staying on a 6.5 I´m hoping to be able to do a lot to it myself both for the satisfaction of doing it myself, and for my wallet!

So far, I´ve done the following:

-gotten rid of the rust around the body (at least I thought so, it seems to be back :( )
-new main power cables
-new glow plug cables
-new glow plugs
-new relays and harnesses for the headlights
-new headlights
-off road lights
-work lights
-new fuel feed lines
-separate wvo conversion

The new fuel system and the wvo conversion is still a bit of work in progress until it´s done. Having some slight problems with getting it going properly.

My other long term plans include running boards, cab lights, and plastidiping the car black. I want a black car. And I´m hoping to preserve the rather good paint even longer by giving it an extra cover.

Not the newest photo of the car - some of my upgrades are still missing. More photos to come when light is back and the truck is washed again, haha!
2018-10-10 17.15.24.jpg

Cheers,
Svein

Welcome to The Truck Stop Svein. Nice clean looking suburban you got there.

You have come to the right place for the 6.5. Everybody here can help you get the life out of that thing. Treat her right and keep an eye on the harmonic balancer and you most likely can get 10 years out of it.

Which glow plugs did you put in it?

What fuel line did you use?

Welcome. Enjoy the suburban.
Does it have the ds4 injection pump on it still with the wvo system? Most people choose the db2 pumps with that.
@Hink I believe has many years of sucess with his- I suggest learning from his experience.

I recently bought a 2007 fj cruiser that the previous owner did a full body plastidip on it. He had Most of it removed and looks great by time he listed it for sale, MOST.

There are some spots of overspray that occurred in door jambs, on mirror housings, etc. HORRIBLE trying to remove it.
So be INSANELY detailed in your masking. Tarp off the bottom of the trucks undercarriage.

What mechanical history do you have on the suburban? How many kilometers? Some things that are frequently neglected are engine killers.

Thank you all for the warm welcome! Appreciate it!

Welcome. Enjoy the suburban.
Does it have the ds4 injection pump on it still with the wvo system? Most people choose the db2 pumps with that.
@Hink I believe has many years of sucess with his- I suggest learning from his experience.

I recently bought a 2007 fj cruiser that the previous owner did a full body plastidip on it. He had Most of it removed and looks great by time he listed it for sale, MOST.

There are some spots of overspray that occurred in door jambs, on mirror housings, etc. HORRIBLE trying to remove it.
So be INSANELY detailed in your masking. Tarp off the bottom of the trucks undercarriage.

What mechanical history do you have on the suburban? How many kilometers? Some things that are frequently neglected are engine killers.

It does indeed have the ds4. I´ve been reading a LOT about it before I decided to go with it. Basically, my cunning plan to avoid a IP failure at least the first couple of weeks is to preheat the diesel by running it trough a coolant heated filter (but no heat exchanger) and an electric heater the last seconds before switchover to avoid thermal shock to the pump as much as possibly. And, most importantly, never switch over before I´ve reached maximum operating temperature on the car. Fingers crossed... I will definitely dive into @Hink ´s post to try to learn more!

Yeah - I´ve kind of put the plastidip project off until I´ve finished with most of the mechanical work and can find a good week or so to really take my time with the pre clean, masking and spraying enough layers!

Unfortunately I don´t have very much history on the truck. The guy I bought it from had had it for a year, and barely used it. I talked to the PO before him that had the truck for 11 years. He told me he had a mechanic friend who had been serving it and giving it regular oil changes, but who knows. He also told me that the IP was changed on warranty at some point, but he didn't´t remember the milage of course. By now, the truck has roughly 250000kms on it, so that 15500ish miles to my calculations. ;) I´ve been trying to do all the maintenance I didn't do to my express van for now, hoping that´s gonna give my sub a longer life! :)

Welcome to The Truck Stop Svein. Nice clean looking suburban you got there.

You have come to the right place for the 6.5. Everybody here can help you get the life out of that thing. Treat her right and keep an eye on the harmonic balancer and you most likely can get 10 years out of it.

Which glow plugs did you put in it?

What fuel line did you use?

Thanks again! :)

I originally ordered Bosch duratherms for it, but that was a big mistake. So far 4 of the 8 connectors have either snapped off during or post install. Luckily the local shop here sells acdelco 60g-spec plugs, so I still have them all self regulating!

I used 3/8" gates 27059 transmission oil cooler line for the fuel line.

I´ve read that the harmonic balancer is something to keep an eye on. But where is it actually located!?! :facepalm:

Back