• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Any news on the 3.0L I6 Duramax?

BoostN

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
GM websites still show late availability from what I can see. I'm assuming since we're already in 2019, it means late for 2019? Unfortunate for GM they are this far behind already while Ford/Ram has already got one on the market.

I'm really wanting to drive one to see how it is on power. I know the 400+ HP of the 6.2 will be hard to beat, but the fuel mileage hopefully will be the nice trade off... then again, I'm thinking about smiles per gallon lately after driving my 2.8L Colorado.

I'm really wanting to drive one to see how it is on power. I know the 400+ HP of the 6.2 will be hard to beat, but the fuel mileage hopefully will be the nice trade off... then again, I'm thinking about smiles per gallon lately after driving my 2.8L Colorado.

I suppose if the new truck (1/2 ton) with the Inline 6 Diesel was able to get better mileage than the current Colorado that you have, you would think about a trade?

I suppose if the new truck (1/2 ton) with the Inline 6 Diesel was able to get better mileage than the current Colorado that you have, you would think about a trade?

For sure... if I can get more truck for similar MPG and more comfort, it would make a lot of sense. The interiors of the Colorado aren't as nice as a full size truck.

For sure... if I can get more truck for similar MPG and more comfort, it would make a lot of sense. The interiors of the Colorado aren't as nice as a full size truck.

I had hoped that cheap feel S-10 mindset had passed at GM.

Meanwhile *snark* my clutch has trouble with the 400+ HP and 1000 lb-ft of my inline 6 - 5.9... so it's possible to have a fun I6.

That said how it the 10speed trans holding up on the Fords that GM is rumored to be also using? GM/Ford joint venture...

@tanman_2006 let others prove the 1st year engine. The last GM diesel venture wound up ventalating a lot of blocks under warranty aka ecodiesel FCA wound up with. I doubt it because you can't fix management stupid but that should teach FCA not to touch any diesel GM had a hand in. :p

That said how it the 10speed trans holding up on the Fords that GM is rumored to be also using? GM/Ford joint venture...

@tanman_2006 let others prove the 1st year engine. The last GM diesel venture wound up ventalating a lot of blocks under warranty aka ecodiesel FCA wound up with. I doubt it because you can't fix management stupid but that should teach FCA not to touch any diesel GM had a hand in. :p
Last I heard, nobody actually has the 10 speed out yet, at least not the 10r140. Ford and GM both are rumored to have it for 2020. GM paid allison to test and certify the design so they can still call it an "ALLISON" trans for marketing.

And the ecodiesel was 100% Fiat. GM paid them to design it, then shelved it, and gave the rights to it back to Fiat. GM's last diesel engine that has been released is the current L5P which aside from some pushrod issues in low milage engines has been pretty dang good. I'm interested to see how the new 3.0l pans out and if it ends up being based off of somebody elses engine.

The official power numbers and pricing are out, but no mpg or tow numbers yet. They're upping Ford's 250 hp with 277hp, and pushing 460lb ft of torque to Ford's 450. Dodge hasn't released any numbers yet or if yhey'll even offer a 1500 diesel.

Why can't GM just make it an even number at about 300 hp and torque at 500? Some reason it's stuck in my mind that a vehicle needs at least 300 hp, no matter if it's a v6 gas, v8 gas or diesel. Some of the 1960's small block chevys had at least 300 hp plus, I suppose that's stuck in my mind.

Yea just build something that's got some arse to it.

I was talking about some of the 60's and 70's muscle cars, when I was a young lad, I embarrassed more than one V-8 with a good running 4 cylinder on the country roads. Not talking about off the line, but on curvy roads and after I got that sucker wound up.....:smuggrin:

I just wonder how "locked down" that ECM is going to be. I would imagine it's the same family as the L5P, AKA expensive as crap to tune!
I would venture to say thats a safe assumption. Its still over $4K to tune an L5P by the time you get the hptuners bootloader installed, hptuner tuning, and find an exhaust(since the epa cracked down on diesel exhaust kits).

Some reason it's stuck in my mind that a vehicle needs at least 300 hp, no matter if it's a v6 gas, v8 gas or diesel.

I'll argue that ~400 ft / lb and a 6 speed slushbox or 5 speed manual is the sweet spot for light truck duty. Unless there are efficiency gains of going over that level, to me doing so is leaving power on the table and merely a marketing ploy as the computer will prevent that much power from getting to the wheels in many scenarios.

Toward the whole I6 diesel topic. Is just hard for me to get excited and here is why . . .

Am getting 17 - 18 mpg in the Burb's replacement. Towing the 8K# RV is getting 9 - 11. Curb weight is just over 6K#. Fully loaded combined is ~15K#. Pulls the RV just as well as the 6.5 Burb did (and the 6.0 gas Burb that I borrowed). Torque is rated just over 400 ft / lb. And all of this is with a gasser.

So, with all the extra complexity of a current generation diesel, it is very hard for me to get excited over a light truck diesel when a gasser has crept into the diesel's territory for less up-front cost and most likely a lower TCO.

Sure the gas motor has plugs and coils, but it doe not need DEF or a bigger exhaust. Also, it is rated to tow its max weight on 87 octane . . .

Only thing the gasser platform needs is a driveline retarder as downgrade speed control is interesting without the resistance of a V8.

Back