• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Offroad toy?

red

Being a lake bum in Texas
Reaction score
Picked this up yesterday (literally). Not sure yet if I'll keep it to become the rock crawler or fix/flip for cash. 1984 M1009 (k5 blazer) with a 6.2 diesel, th400 trans, np208 tcase, and 3.08 axle gears. Sitting on worn out 33" tires with some rust issues on the body and the wiring partially torn apart (previous owner diagnosed a bad ignition switch but got in over his head).

IMG_20180809_161428395.jpgIMG_20180810_120643234_HDR.jpgIMG_20180810_120743384_HDR.jpgIMG_20180810_120824614_HDR.jpgIMG_20180810_120834664_HDR.jpg

If I keep it then the number of 6.2's I have is multiplying hahaha. Which keeping it is what I'm leaning towards. That does affect the build plans with the crew cab (discussed in it's thread) and gives the benefit of a backup vehicle that happens to share the same engine.

Fix it exactly how you want it. Because if you want to sell for profit, all done up is how you make the most $. Then if you sell it you make good cash. If you keep it you get what you want. Maybe you keep it half dozen years then sell it.

Interior nice but weatherproof. Bimini top, keep the hard top for winter and resell options. Descent paint, locker, etc like you mentioned. As light as it is I would go hx35/40 turbo just turn up ip and new turbo injectors. Pass ATT because all heavy towing would be with the crew cab, and more low end zip for fun and rock crawling from a dead stop.

Not sure if I'll even bother with engine upgrades actually. When offroad I usually try to idle/low rpm over obstacles. Headed to the annual Blazer Bash in Moab during early september which will be a good baseline test assuming it's driving by then (should be)

Having done a k5 6.2 with and without turbo- yeah better with it off road. Makes a nice difference in the hummer and that was just gm6 with crappy homemade turbo master.
You said the hx35 you have is 9 housing- yeah that married with the 40 breather would keep you in good low end.

Much easier to use 50% when you could go 100% than to be at 100% and 125%...

Plus about 10% better mpg.

Fix it exactly how you want it. Because if you want to sell for profit, all done up is how you make the most $. Then if you sell it you make good cash. If you keep it you get what you want. Maybe you keep it half dozen years then sell it.

Interior nice but weatherproof. Bimini top, keep the hard top for winter and resell options. Descent paint, locker, etc like you mentioned. As light as it is I would go hx35/40 turbo just turn up ip and new turbo injectors. Pass ATT because all heavy towing would be with the crew cab, and more low end zip for fun and rock crawling from a dead stop.
A small modern blower (supercharger can be had on the cheap & would be an easy fit and making torque from idle up.

A small modern blower (supercharger can be had on the cheap & would be an easy fit and making torque from idle up.

Where have you found a supercharger for a 6.2 diesel for cheap?

Dove into the column yesterday evening (which is not my area of knowledge haha). The ignition switch had been assembled on the wrong teeth so it couldn't turn far enough to engage the starter. Tried pushing that lever by hand a few times and it still won't activate the starter. Going to recharge the batts today and if that doesn't fix it then will pull for testing. If it's no good then I'm going to finish removing the 24v stuff from the truck since the starter is one of just 2 remaining 24v system parts remaining.

Where have you found a supercharger for a 6.2 diesel for cheap?

Dove into the column yesterday evening (which is not my area of knowledge haha). The ignition switch had been assembled on the wrong teeth so it couldn't turn far enough to engage the starter. Tried pushing that lever by hand a few times and it still won't activate the starter. Going to recharge the batts today and if that doesn't fix it then will pull for testing. If it's no good then I'm going to finish removing the 24v stuff from the truck since the starter is one of just 2 remaining 24v system parts remaining.
For the 6.2/6.5 not cheap you retrofit any of the various units sold on the bay or CL onto your intake or mount on side like atl or ac compressor w/air blown from supercharger into intake....a large unit would not need a CAC/IC while pumping lots of cfm @ low boost.

Although the batts were low, still not the problem. They were already wired in as 12v rather than 24v so going to lower the starter to the ground where the wiring is accessible and find out if it's just not getting the signal, or if it's no good. Need to finish loading up my scrap metal first so might not get to the k5 until tomorrow.

Messed with it today. Took both batts home the other day to get charged at a 10amp setting. Both appeared to charge. Installed them on the k5 today with no effect. So removed that 3rd bump stop bracket to make starter access easier and hit the remote terminal with the power probe on 12v and nothing happened. Dropped the starter out and rigged it up on the service bed using jumper cables as 12v and it would spin slowly. Hooked up 2 known good batts as 24v with similar results, not nearly enough torque to consider spinning over an engine.

Since the starter is out for replacement anyways decided to go ahead and finish removing the last remnants of the 24v stuff and make it simply 12v. Ordering up a replacement starter brace tonight as well since it's missing and luckily hasn't broken anything yet.

Reassembled most of the column last night. The new ignition refuses to let go of the key and the turn signal assembly is torn apart. I might just put the old ignition back in the truck since that wasn't the problem.

IMG_20180816_205915468.jpg

Wow, that reminds me when I had shortened the steering column on my 86 some years ago I'm thinking I got 3.5" to 4" more space between the steering wheel and the seat back....

The column gave me some hell today. Wires from the broken turn signal assembly being uncooperative so ended up yanking them out of the column completely. Another thing it did was with the original ignition. I slid it into it's spot and somehow it locked itself into the plastic part of the column. Ended up having to take a punch with a hammer and pound the ignition cylinder out. Swapped out the aftermarket ignition with a new replacement and slapped the column back together minus the electrical stuff.

Crawled under the truck and installed the new 12v starter with new brace. Jumped the glowplug solenoid while the electric pump was running, and........

IMG_20180822_161729052.jpgIMG_20180822_164431597.jpg

It actually runs better than the 6.2 in the crew cab hahaha. Did a few loops around the lot and so far so good.

The wrench turner in me want to buy it. My empty wallet disagrees, and my lacknof time for projects confirms it. Some one is gonna get a really great offroad rig that can get great mpg as a dd.

Bit of an update on this guy. While the crew cab has been torn apart for the engine swap this has taken over daily driving stuff and going on some offroad trips. Went out to the desert yesterday with some friends and misjudged the drop off at one ledge doing this.

20190112_164900.jpg20190112_164918.jpg20190112_164933.jpg

Is it bad that I wasn't mad when it happened? More of just a "ah shit" moment hahaha.

While the crew cab has been apart I've been considering having a backup vehicle/offroad toy and have gone back and forth between the k5, or the 1980 cab/chassis truck that donated the wrecker bed. Each has benefits:

k5 already runs/drives, shorter wheelbase, seating for 5, able to sleep inside when camping. Downsides are the axles and my trailer (eventually more trailers) are gooseneck.

Cab/chassis has the better gearing, stronger axles, and if needed can tow the trailers. Downsides are it needs an engine swap right away (give it the crew cab's old 6.2) with a new clutch, only seats 3 if somebody straddles the shifters, and the frame was cracked.

Neither would be used as a regular tow rig, that's the crew cab's job. Just able to limp things home in a emergency situation is what's on the mind. So I'm leaning much more heavily towards keeping the k5 around as the backup truck/offroad toy. Just alot less work/cost to have it fill that role.

Also swapped the driver/passenger seats the other day. The glove holder in the original driver seat was useful, but not exactly comfortable...

48425467_10215538410466171_5624011193074057216_o.jpg

Back