• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

M816 wrecker

Looking for a new way to upload the photos here. photobucket has decided to start charging for photo sharing so time to find a new way

My wife knew before we got married that one day I'll own a deuce and a half. Every time we see one going down the road she will say, can you see us going on our dates in that thing and I tell her, you daggum right I do.

My wife knew before we got married that one day I'll own a deuce and a half. Every time we see one going down the road she will say, can you see us going on our dates in that thing and I tell her, you daggum right I do.

Duece's have gotten cheaper with the amount of 5 tons available. I started off with a m35a2 deuce and was planning to build it into a camper. After killing the multifuel engine and shattering the input shaft on the transmission decided to step up to a 5 ton. Was looking for either a m934 or m820 (has the 17ft long box on the back) for the camper build when this wrecker kinda dropped into my lap.

Also finally got around to wiring in my tow lights (hang on the vehicle being towed). Since I'm not worried about the blackout lights just wired them up using the standard 4 wire connection.

IMG_20170710_162624536.jpg IMG_20170710_162630381.jpg IMG_20170714_182851677.jpg IMG_20170714_190755170.jpg IMG_20170714_191003777.jpg IMG_20170717_001306527.jpg

Figuring out location mounts for a different towbar setup. Planning to use my stock medium towbar and modify it to be like a Holmes 750 towbar. Make it where the truck can tow things besides military vehicles.

Planned upcoming work for the wrecker, hopefully done before winter arrives:
Finish the airbrake conversion on the 3rd axle
Plumb in the air dryer
Towbar modification
Relocate the hydraulic pump and tank to the chassis
2 sets of Jake brakes

Another project that will happen to either the wrecker or maybe a trailer, is a place to store all my tools and be organized. Basically a shop on wheels. Tools, diesel fired welder, air compressor, gas torch, plasma cutter, hydraulic press, tubing bender, awning to work under. Haven't decided for certain yet if that will all be mounted onto the wrecker or if I'll make a platform that can be loaded onto a trailer to transport them. If it goes onto a trailer then will also add a small engine hoist.

Wasn't a planned mod for today but got out to the wrecker so I could work on the pickup and decided that I'm tired of working in the sun all the time. So I took the cargo cover that is meant for a longer cargo bed (18ft) that has been lying around and modified it today. Cut the front/rear flaps off then turned it sideways which is just a little bit bigger than the length of my bed (13ft).

IMG_20170726_120549920_HDR.jpg IMG_20170726_121105237_HDR.jpg IMG_20170726_130732569_HDR.jpg IMG_20170726_130743571_HDR.jpg IMG_20170726_130756502_HDR.jpg IMG_20170726_131444378_HDR.jpg

Thinking of cutting it into 2 pieces. A removable awning, and a bimini top. Will make it easier to handle and would make it where the awning could be attached to either side as needed.

Making the bimini top easily removable is mandatory with the crane, can't rotate with the posts and cover there.

Nice job on the M816! I don't know how I never noticed this thread before. I always said that if I could choose any truck the Army had it would be an M816 or M936. I prefer the manual transmission option of the M816 personally but I'd really like to have more gears. A Cummins doesn't like being lugged so having more gears is a lot better for it, especially if you work it under a load. Schwitzer used to make a turbocharger kit for the 250 Cummins (called it a smoke kit) and that really added some horsepower but it was a straight dump to the intake with no cooling of the compressed air so you needed to have a pyrometer and keep a close eye on it.

Red, You have some mighty fine rigs.
I have always wanted a deuce and a half to build a camper on. To me, that'd be the ultimate SHTF rig. A 400 big cam'd make it pretty nice, IMO

Gamma Goat, preferably the ambulance version because of its specialized upfitting, because they can swim and are highly maneuverable and fast. The downside is that they are all a NOISEY S.O.B. to drive with that 3-52 Detroit screaming two feet behind your head.

Gamma Goat, preferably the ambulance version because of its specialized upfitting, because they can swim and are highly maneuverable and fast. The downside is that they are all a NOISEY S.O.B. to drive with that 3-52 Detroit screaming two feet behind your head.

We tested an experimental parachute release system using a Gamma Goat and it didn't go real well. A lot of stuff that gets airdropped is damaged from getting drug around after it's on the ground so they developed these release bells that sensed that the load was on the ground by the slack in the lines and the bell opened the latch and released the load from the chute. We did the test from a C130 and it started out great. The Gamma Goat was secured to an air pallet so we let out the drag chute and it pulled the load out beautifully. It was rigged with two chutes and they deployed perfectly. Then the load was rocked by the slipstream from the C130. One end rocked up and slacked the lines, so the bell said "I'm on the ground" and released. That dropped the released end and the wind kind of lifted the pallet and the other bell figured it was on the ground too. Freefall, followed by a dust cloud. I think the only useable parts left on the Gamma Goat were the lug nuts.

Nice job on the M816! I don't know how I never noticed this thread before. I always said that if I could choose any truck the Army had it would be an M816 or M936. I prefer the manual transmission option of the M816 personally but I'd really like to have more gears. A Cummins doesn't like being lugged so having more gears is a lot better for it, especially if you work it under a load. Schwitzer used to make a turbocharger kit for the 250 Cummins (called it a smoke kit) and that really added some horsepower but it was a straight dump to the intake with no cooling of the compressed air so you needed to have a pyrometer and keep a close eye on it.

Wreckers are great, their versatility is only limited by your imagination haha. The fuel was turned up in my m816 before I got it and it has some pep to it for a 40,000+ lb rig with only 250hp hahaha. Planning to install a turbo next year to help out, maybe test out a hx55 since it will spool early to cover the 800rpm gap between 3rd and 4th gear. Swap to a Eaton/Fuller RTOO series transmission would be a great upgrade.

Red, You have some mighty fine rigs.
I have always wanted a deuce and a half to build a camper on. To me, that'd be the ultimate SHTF rig. A 400 big cam'd make it pretty nice, IMO

Thanks, lots of work coming up for both the wrecker and the pickup. The 855 series Cummins only fit in the 5 tons, too big for a deuce and a half. A Cummins 8.3 or a DT466 both fit and are a great upgrade for them. Had a MUST shelter (similar to a S280, taller and it expands) for awhile in my old m35a2 before I sold it. Installed a winch between the bed/cab and had a friend build a tail roller at the end of the bed so it could be loaded/unloaded with no other vehicle.

IMG_20150408_135457676.jpg IMG_20150408_142308423.jpg IMG_20150408_145106681.jpg IMG_20150408_160825347.jpg

With wrecker versatility, I have a problem to overcome. The ability to tow a 5th wheel trailer (in my case 2 box trailers, 22ft and 24ft). So took some ideas from civilian model wreckers on how to do this. Kind of in a hurry with this project so will make it cleaner later.

Started off by cutting the bumperettes off to gain access to the rear shackle mounts.

IMG_20170728_134426548.jpg

Setting things up for ideas and plans.

IMG_20170728_165106066_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170728_195844104.jpg

3/8" thick plate to become the adapter between the outer towbar legs and the 5th wheel. All grade 8 bolts.

IMG_20170806_174137431.jpg IMG_20170806_174159958.jpg IMG_20170806_175547268.jpg

Not finished yet, kind of a copy (using a much bigger 5th wheel) of the hitch setups for a wrecker underlift. Won't be able to tow a fully loaded trailer, but will be capable of similar weights to lift towing another truck. Need to drill 4 more holes to securely mount the 5th wheel to the adapter plate. The towbar is triangulated and secured to both the front and rear of the adapter plate, preventing the 5th wheel from rotating side/side. The hitch pivots front/back and if the blocks are removed it will pivot to the sides as well. Also need to drill the holes for the shackle mounts, which is how it will all be lifted.

As yall can see in the last pic the crane is right up at the front of the hitch which is a problem with box trailers. Looking into possibly using the rear 45k winch instead of the crane to hold the towbar/5th wheel. It is much larger/heavier duty than the winch on the crane and is gear driven as well. This setup when completed is only for when I need to move an empty trailer.

We tested an experimental parachute release system using a Gamma Goat and it didn't go real well. A lot of stuff that gets airdropped is damaged from getting drug around after it's on the ground so they developed these release bells that sensed that the load was on the ground by the slack in the lines and the bell opened the latch and released the load from the chute. We did the test from a C130 and it started out great. The Gamma Goat was secured to an air pallet so we let out the drag chute and it pulled the load out beautifully. It was rigged with two chutes and they deployed perfectly. Then the load was rocked by the slipstream from the C130. One end rocked up and slacked the lines, so the bell said "I'm on the ground" and released. That dropped the released end and the wind kind of lifted the pallet and the other bell figured it was on the ground too. Freefall, followed by a dust cloud. I think the only useable parts left on the Gamma Goat were the lug nuts.
But that wasn't the fault of the Gamma Goat, now was it. Sounds more like an R&D snafu by the riggers.

But that wasn't the fault of the Gamma Goat, now was it. Sounds more like an R&D snafu by the riggers.
Nope, not the Goat's fault. Pretty sure I didn't even imply that. It was just some bonehead company's way to try to sell a less than brilliant idea to the military. My only problem with the Goat is working on them. You have to roll it to get to all of the zerks in the driveline and by the time you get them all you're down the road a ways. And changing the engine oil filter (canister filter) is near impossible to do without getting some oil in the hull. The favorite trick in the shop for some of the guys was to wait for someone to walk by and then flip the bilge pump switch and nail them with a nice shot oil oily water from the bilge. I had to swim one to get licensed on them and man is that scary. They swim, but just barely. If you ever watch the movie Stripes, check out the Gamma Goat with the big red star painted on it that the Soviet (or was it Czechoslovakian?) border guards had parked there.

Back