• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Water to Air intercooler install

A momentary open on/closed off mounted to a bracket facing forward into air stream which is engaged by a flat hinged panel as air pushes it back onto the switch shutting off the fans.
Interesting idea! I'm not sure how that would survive in my climate though....but definitely something to ponder, thanks!

Just use a temperature sensor. At speed, the coolant temp is lower. When in traffic or stopped, the coolant temperature will rise and turn on the fans. Also, after or during a hard run, regardless of vehicle speed, the fans would kick on to help cool down the coolant and hence the air charge.

Just use a temperature sensor. At speed, the coolant temp is lower. When in traffic or stopped, the coolant temperature will rise and turn on the fans. Also, after or during a hard run, regardless of vehicle speed, the fans would kick on to help cool down the coolant and hence the air charge.
Yeah, that's the simplest route and probably what I should do. KISS, right?

Do you have any pics of the screens you put in your grill?
Sorry I'm so slow o reply. had to finish the alternator upgrade. We loaned the Subaru to Daughter in college, and Wifey doesn't like driving around wit a solar panel array on the roof. It worked, though.

It's been a while since I did the grille, I mentally mixed the motorhome and Burb grilles. The Mohome has the 1/4 inch backing the Burb has a wire shelf from a refrigerator cut in half and joined in center to match the angle of the grille. In front of that is 1/8" heavy screen, then the window screen in front. The snorkels just have the 1/8". AAAAnd then below the bumper is my prototype air dam that is still waiting completion. Increased mpg by about 1/2 mpg and aids in cooling. You may notice the well drilled grille.

Attachments

• 20170221_151622.jpg
    20170221_151622.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20170221_151738.jpg
    20170221_151738.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20170221_151753.jpg
    20170221_151753.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 29
Sorry I'm so slow o reply. had to finish the alternator upgrade. We loaned the Subaru to Daughter in college, and Wifey doesn't like driving around wit a solar panel array on the roof. It worked, though.

It's been a while since I did the grille, I mentally mixed the motorhome and Burb grilles. The Mohome has the 1/4 inch backing the Burb has a wire shelf from a refrigerator cut in half and joined in center to match the angle of the grille. In front of that is 1/8" heavy screen, then the window screen in front. The snorkels just have the 1/8". AAAAnd then below the bumper is my prototype air dam that is still waiting completion. Increased mpg by about 1/2 mpg and aids in cooling. You may notice the well drilled grille.
Thanks for the pics, Dave.

Ok the grill insert is done - well, except I'll probably take it to work and weld the connections a little bit more with a TIG welder to get them fully welded and keep the weld small. It fits pretty nice.

Next I'll be adding the trim around the bottom of the "mouth".IMG_7676.JPGIMG_7677.JPGIMG_7678.JPGIMG_7679.JPGIMG_7680.JPGIMG_7681.JPG

I wonder how well an old school heater core and squirrel cage fan from something like the rear half of a school bus would work for the radiator?
If a second one were boxed in and given the job of air cooler with hose and pump between, would it be enough?

Looking great so far, Nate! Now, put some 1/4" expanded steel mesh behind it to protect from flying pebbles, paint it all black, and you're ready to rock and roll (no pun intended!)!

Interesting mind exercise, but you would need to move at least 1,000 CFM of air through that (which would make the unit dissipate way more than its 30,000 BTU rating with those two small squirrel cages that most likely put out about 125-175 CFM of air flow each) to shed the heat picked up from the air/water exchanger. That is essentially what Nate had with the old mounting system with the pair of shrouded fans, about 1,000 or so CFM of air flow across that small radiator.

It's not size, so much as BTU dissipation rating. That is dependent on size/shape of tubes, number of fins per inch (if not of stacked plate design), material exchanger is made of, etc. Two totally different looking radiators can have the same BTU rating. Look at what Nate is using, that is a good start.

Ok the grill insert is done - well, except I'll probably take it to work and weld the connections a little bit more with a TIG welder to get them fully welded and keep the weld small. It fits pretty nice.

Next I'll be adding the trim around the bottom of the "mouth".View attachment 49436View attachment 49437View attachment 49438View attachment 49439View attachment 49440View attachment 49441
Excellent work, I'm looking at using aluminum to extend my grill if needed similar to how the HMMWV's front grills were modded.

I wonder how well an old school heater core and squirrel cage fan from something like the rear half of a school bus would work for the radiator?
If a second one were boxed in and given the job of air cooler with hose and pump between, would it be enough?
Yeah, it could technically work, it's what Husker said....it's all about BTU dissipation. I looked up the heat exchanger I'm running and it doesn't have a BTU/Hour rating, just a horsepower rating. This one is rated at 1200 horsepower. I chose it because it was so oversized, I figured it would help to oversize it since it was in an inefficient mounting location. Too bad I don't have an IAT gauge hooked up, because it would have been really interesting to see if it made a difference to my IATs.

Back