• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tuner

Tim3596

Reaction score
I am looking for a tuner for a 6.5 turbo diesel I herd a guy on here knows how to get a good one

Technically speaking, there is no tuner for this truck.

Owner can get a reflashed ECM that is tuned.
For OBD-I trucks (94-95), there are reflashed ECM with multiple parameters aka Multi Tune.
I have not seen this one for OBD-II trucks (96+ model year).

Technically speaking, there is no tuner for this truck.

Owner can get a reflashed ECM that is tuned.
For OBD-I trucks (94-95), there are reflashed ECM with multiple parameters aka Multi Tune.
I have not seen this one for OBD-II trucks (96+ model year).
For OBD1 trucks they use a removeable chip, 96+ require a reflash as the chip is no longer removeable in them. Leroy member burning oil here can get you a tune from KOJO I believe who is a top notch tuner. He may even offer the multi tune as I believe he said he could do it on his FB page by special request.

No I'm not a coal roller I just wanna get all the power out of my truck I am always pulling big trailers but my truck is a 94 Chevy 3500 6.5 turbo

NO! RUN AWAY!

And don't look back over your shoulder!

We will not steer you wrong on this forum. There are too many people who are true experts on 6.2/6.5 family motors here. We're talking serious R&D expertise with turbos, cams, programming, injection, intake and exhaust. There are members here that are making reliable 340hp at the crank.

I was looking at a1 customs at his 6 tune on the go
Can't believe that con artist is still selling his wares. Whatever he wants for his "tune", just take that amount of money, and light it on fire. It will accomplish the same thing as his 6 tune is a gimick and has been proven numerous times to do nothing but lighten your wallet. Do some searching for steaksauce on the forums, you'll find PLENTY of reasons to RUN!

I have had no personal experience with Buddy's multi-tuner, but if you wait a bit, I'm sure somebody here will comment. Meanwhile, for your entertainment, type Steaksauce into the Search and have fun with the over 80 posts that mention him in none too glowing terms.

Don't get me wrong, Buddy does excellent work, I just haven't any personal experience with his product. Go read his threads.

Toward the goal of more power. Do some digging in the Tech Library and then focus on who to engage for the tune. If the goal is to make the truck more durable while squeazing a bit more power out of the motor, and enjoy the fact that the truck costs a *lot* less to maintain than the new diesel, then you will really love keeping it. If the goal is to make a lot more power to keep up with the current diesels, then things will not go so well as this usually leads to a new motor.

Tuning can get a bit more power out of the motor, but consider looking into durability modifications first (where many of them also get more power without tuning). Sure, a lot more power is possible, but this typically leads to a need for motor replacement in the near future (look for the 'Carnage' thread).

If the truck is still stock, a quick power and durability upgrade is swapping the exhaust for an aftermarket 3" downpipe and 4" back system. If the airbox has the flat filter, swap out to GM's K47 (round filter) or get one of the new S&B's.

Another item for better power is the turbo by removing OE unit and going with an ATT or Holset. An ATT will require a tune (actually not an absolute requirement, but it has a significantly different fuel curve than the other turbos). If you decide on an ATT, the only tuner I'd use is KOJO. The Holset is known to bolt-on without needing a tune, but it too will incrementally benefit from a tune. For the Holset, Buddy, Heath, or KOJO can do the tune.

And consider a Fludampr to replace the harmonic balancer. This does not address power, but it does help with the motor's durability and is a key element to when you increase power.

After the exhaust and intake, there are a few different paths to take to incrementally (not exponentially) increase power, so do the homework and start plotting out the course.

Regarding multi-position tunes, am not sold that this is really necessary as it is possible to use good logic and build a tune that is economical when going easy on the pedal and more aggressive when heavy on the throttle. Point is, that a single tune can handle multiple uses as long as you (and / or the tuner) think your way through it.

I have replaced every thing on motor the from top to bottom the motor is ready to go but it's just not all the power that I feel like the trucks got I feel like it's got more there but the computer just don't let it do it so that's yy I'm looking for a tuner for it

The a1 tuner does nothing. All it is is a selectable resistor for the pmd/fsd. Problem is the ecm only updates that value every 50 key starts, but some have found it never updates except for a tdco relearn. So it does nothing.

As to Buddy, he's a snake imho. He came onto the boards knowing virtually nothing about the 6.5l, but had knowledge of obd1 tuning and turbos. He went through the tech libraries and learned the common problems and next thing you know he's an expert. Then he refuses to pay vendor fees to sell his products on the forums, so he takes to pm's to do it behind the forums back basically shooting the forums the bird. So I don't have a high opinion of somebody who thinks he's above the site rules. The rules apply to everybody to keep the site going for the members to benefit, not for one to profit without having the decency to support the forum.

Back