• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A military rebuilt 6.5

Very nice work Nate, what are those bolts you used for the battery posts?

Hi Mike, I wasn't ignoring your question, I was just basking in my glory :D. They were some bolts I already had, I think they followed me home from work one day. They're 3/8-16 x about 3/4 (I didn't measure the length for sure before I installed them) hex drive button head cap screws, stainless. And then what you see under the head are some stainless flat washers to take up the extra length. I don't know that they're the best bolts for the application, but I had them already and they were clean.

I forgot to mention the new fuel pressure gauge last night. It's just a summit brand gauge but so far I'm happy with it. Based on what I had read other people say seemed to work best for them I set my pressure to 12psi. I may have to bump that up because it drops when accelerating and I'm not even getting in it yet. Here's a quick vid I shot this morning on the way to work. It's a silver gauge like the rest of my gauges but the illumination is sure different from the others....

Fuel Pressure Gauge illum.jpg

I forgot to mention the new fuel pressure gauge last night. It's just a summit brand gauge but so far I'm happy with it. Based on what I had read other people say seemed to work best for them I set my pressure to 12psi. I may have to bump that up because it drops when accelerating and I'm not even getting in it yet. Here's a quick vid I shot this morning on the way to work. It's a silver gauge like the rest of my gauges but the illumination is sure different from the others....

View attachment 44818

Sounds great Nate, also love the gauge. I'm sure I read it before but it escapes me, what LP did you end up going with? Really need to do mine. I don't even prime to 9psi where you drop down to. Congratulations on getting it all back together and running.

Thanks SS. It's the Raptor 100 that Leroy sells. I'm very pleased with it so far. Last night to prime the system I opened the water drain and then turned the key off and on a few times but it was taking too long. So I jumped the relay to make it run constantly and that did the trick in no time. It is nice and quiet...I think it's quieter than the stock pump and certainly not louder, so that's nice. Plus it's mounted a bit further back now so the sound shouldn't matter at all.

http://leroydiesel.com/products/raptor-100/

That pressure is just about right. Couple more #s ^ and you'll have it. Sure is nice to see 9-10 psi under hard accel.

Edit: Make sure you power the pump up with a 12 ga wire coming from battery source. The stock 18ga wire won't cut it.

That pressure is just about right. Couple more #s ^ and you'll have it. Sure is nice to see 9-10 psi under hard accel.

Edit: Make sure you power the pump up with a 12 ga wire coming from battery source. The stock 18ga wire won't cut it.
I think I'll leave the pressure as-is for now. Once it gets a few more miles under its belt so I can start dropping the hammer a bit, I'll see what the pressure does at WOT and then figure it out from there.

I used the wire supplied with the pump (not sure what gauge it was, but I would guess about 12 gauge) through a 25 Amp relay. I'm only using the stock 18 gauge as the trigger for the relay.

Not yet. My brother works for a shop and they have the stuff to check it so I'll be heading over there soon.
There are a few applications that can time your pump, I use Car Code OBD-2 because it has device controllers other units don't have however in 32 bit only is great for data logging too.

I'll have to look into that. It would be nice to do it myself. My brother told me what they use but I couldn't find the email.

Driving impressions after 60 miles: so far only half throttle and it builds 16psi boost no problem. It moves nicely, I can't wait to be able to use the whole pedal! It has a bit of a shake at idle, I don't know if it's the cam, the precups, the higher injector pop, timing off or what. It's definitely not a hard miss it's just a bit bothering sitting at a stop feeling it rhythmically shudder. It sounds healthy and my girlfriend said it's definitely quieter inside. Of course if my timing is retarded (which it could be a little just from the higher pop pressure) that could be why it's quieter. I do think the engine itself is quieter (except for the turbo whistle the true 4" intake lets out!!), but I also think the firewall insulation is doing its job, too. Now I hear more exhaust noise inside than clatter. I'll have to do some insulating in the back sometime. I'm hoping to put a bunch more miles on it this week and next weekend so I can get the break in done and get to the good stuff!!

Thats great news Nate! My truck always had just a bit of a shake at idle after the rebuild. It wasn't bad, just a slight shake. It was gone after installing my custom DB2, and balanced high pop injectors. After that, I just assumed I must of had one injector popping a little early. I can't wait to get feedback after you finish the break in. :D

Matt

Thats great news Nate! My truck always had just a bit of a shake at idle after the rebuild. It wasn't bad, just a slight shake. It was gone after installing my custom DB2, and balanced high pop injectors. After that, I just assumed I must of had one injector popping a little early. I can't wait to get feedback after you finish the break in. :D

Matt
Good info, thanks Matt. I'm hoping things settle out once I get some more miles on it but we'll see.

Back