• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Any suggestions for cleaing greasey engines without a pressure washer?

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

Got some filthy engines, and the garden hose isnt getting far.

Do folks use the foaming engine cleaner, or what is recommended? harming paint or wiring is NOT an option.

any input appreciated,
thanks!

Soak it with Super Clean beforehand. That stuff works. It'll remove some paint though

Sent from my SCH-I535

Foaming engine cleaners don't seem as strong to me. I like napa macs engine degreaser but it's not cheap. I agree steam cleaner and just about anything is good.

I normally use purple power(or whatever the cheapest purple degreaser is). Simple green is good to. Then I use a garden hose with a spray nozzle on it and wash it away. Works OK though, but nowhere near as good as it does with a pressure washer. I want to rig up our small pressure washer to an old 40 gallon hot water heater I have for degreasing, that ought to do the trick.

"DO NOT WASH ENGINE" is painted on the 6.2 military air cleaners I get with military surplus engines. IMO washing grease off is more trouble and case cause more trouble than it is worth. Water and electronics don't mix. Neither does water and diesel...
I have found during overhaul that Castrol Purple stuff will change the color of epoxy coated garage floors.

Besides napa mac's cleaner I like the gunk and some others that have the citrus smell. Sometimes you just have to wash an engine or equipment.

Might also consider a thread what not to use:

Duragloss truck and heavy equipment cleaner/degreaser full strength will etch aluminum and fade some hoses. It is strong stuff undiluted. It makes the aluminum dull with a white haze.(etched????) Greased lightening also etches?aluminum.

I start with a few cans of crc brake cleaner (wish I could still get the best stuff from ISI Poly), then hit it with the pressure washer before the brake cleaner has time to dry.

"DO NOT WASH ENGINE" is painted on the 6.2 military air cleaners I get with military surplus engines. IMO washing grease off is more trouble and case cause more trouble than it is worth. Water and electronics don't mix. Neither does water and diesel...
I have found during overhaul that Castrol Purple stuff will change the color of epoxy coated garage floors.
I think i found your Anvil :hihi:

Attachments

• broke anvil.jpg
    broke anvil.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 11
High pressure isn't really good for soft parts. I use dish soap 2 parts to 1 part water so it sprays better from an old windex bottle; soak overnight and reapply next day when it's warmed up a little in the sunshine. I then hook up my best garden hose to our house water heater flush valve and spray off 80% of the gunk. If not satisfied, I do it again the next day.

A benefit of being "retired" and having lots of vehicles; I can let it set and use another one for transport meanwhile.

I agree about water and electronics; After the wash and rinse cycles, I blow it off with the ol' compressor and let it sun dry another day before starting unless I was cleaning it to fix something. In that case it has LOTS of time to dry well before starting.

I prefer to leave the natural anti-rust accumulated in place. Gone are the days when I HAD to have a shiny clean motor.

X2 on Simple Green. Just make sure to completely rinse it off aluminum parts as I recall the Al does not take well to long term exposure to the stuff.

Be careful hooking hot water to standard pressure washers, as they're not rated for heat, and we melted a filter on ours that way. Just FYI. Simple Green or Purple Power work for me when I need to wash something greasy.

Car washes have all the tools, but not sure I would do that as they typically recycle a lot of the water.

If the engines and tranny are that greasy, it might rain-proof the cars that hit the car wash after you :D

Put some Easy Off oven cleaner on it and let it set for an hour or so. Hose off. Repeat

If its an automatic transmission (aluminum case) I wonder if something like toonbright would clean it up for you.

Back