• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Isuzu 4BD2T diesel swap into Suburban

Well finally getting around to removing the Isuzu engine today. It still runs perfect, its a really nice designed engine. It would be great in a 4x4 truck or Jeep....
Im looking forward to getting the 6.5 back in and tring the ATT turbo.
Anyone interested in an Isuzu 4bdt2 engine? :)

A dark Mexican beer.

I got the Isuzu engine pulled yesterday. It was a whole lot easier to pull than install.

Hmm, trip south out of the cold rain with the 00 in tow doesn't sound all that bad!

Sent from: Source Unknown
Anytime your down this way be sure to stop in.
If I hadn't already built the 6.5 I'd take the motor off your hands

I've allready met Red :hihi:. I'll trade you? I have another Burb in the wings needing a new heart, it will be for sale soon after new engine is installed.

From my years of construction experience, tear out and demo is always easier than install. Negra Modelo?
Bingo :cheers2:

and yes the removal was very fast (like 2hours) where as the install took weeks or months don't remember now, but it all had to be made from scratch. The learning curve was big the first time, but now as motor mounts are made, and all the other supporting items it will go faster next time.
Hmmm, got me interested.

Call when you get a chance.

I got the 6.5 back in the Burb yesterday! it was the easiest and fastest install I ever did!! Not sure why. Seems like they always fight me every step of the way. Went in very first time I set it down on motor mounts, trans bolted up with very minimal adjustments to the floor jack.
It took me longer to get the Isuzu engine back in the crate and on the pallet jack (no kiding).
Today is starting all the small stuff, starter, turbo, lines, hoses....ect That between the rain.

I want to put the ATT on it, but first Im going to put the GM back on so I can remember what the performance is like then switch it out. Ive got a six banger chip for it also. Since my bat's are under the body I'll be making some version of a ram air CAI. I'd like to throw an Optimizer in it too.

I want to put the ATT on it, but first Im going to put the GM back on so I can remember what the performance is like then switch it out. Ive got a six banger chip for it also. Since my bat's are under the body I'll be making some version of a ram air CAI. I'd like to throw an Optimizer in it too.

Keep in mind a chip setup for a GMX turbo won't be optimized for the ATT. The ATT needs a different timing map to light off properly whereas the GMX turbos will light off with most any tuning. this probably why GM went with the GMX series was simply for emissions as it would work with crappy emissions tuning in the ECM.

I had Buddy set up one of the positions for ATT, but not even knowing anything other than I knew I wanted a ATT at the time Im not sure what/how he would have tuned it back then. This was way before tuning for the ATT became popular. I know almost nothing of reflashing the chip. Can a new MAP be burned on the OBD1 multi tunes if I don't like it?

I got the 6.5 back in the Burb yesterday! it was the easiest and fastest install I ever did!! Not sure why. Seems like they always fight me every step of the way. Went in very first time I set it down on motor mounts, trans bolted up with very minimal adjustments to the floor jack.
It took me longer to get the Isuzu engine back in the crate and on the pallet jack (no kiding).
Today is starting all the small stuff, starter, turbo, lines, hoses....ect That between the rain.

Must be all that practice you've had!:hihi:

Must be all that practice you've had!:hihi:

I've done my share so maybe:rolleyes5: but this was the fastest one ever. Like it was hungry to go back home.

I've had to do some other stuff at the house, so not much on the Burb. I did get the starter back in though. I made a couple quick disconnects for the bat and solenoid wire. Makes it much easier to R&R it next time:thumbsup:

Basicaly its a junction stud mounted to frame. Bat cable go's to there then a short lead from it to starter. The lead has enough slack to drop to the ground. The solenoid wire was lengthend and a heavy duty quick disconnect. In the past I've allways had to hang the starter from the bat cable while tring to find the little 11/32" nut and undo it, and its allways at some wierd hard to reach angle.
Now I don't even need to disconnect the battery.:)

Back