• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

06 LBZ Shift Range Inhibited

BigDogYJ

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before. But, after searching I can only find people having the trouble when shifting to Reverse or Drive. Of course, mine has to be different.

Yesterday, Im heading home (about 2 hr trip). 30 mins in, I stop for fuel. Shut down the truck for about 15 minutes.
Start it back up, getting back on the highway, and I hit about 45-50 mph and truck goes to Neutral and "Shift Range Inhibited" pops up on DIC, and Trans selector light is flashing. I let off the throttle, shift up to N, then back to Drive, and keep driving as if nothing happened. No issue for the remaining 90 minute drive home.

I've never experienced a "limp mode" condition in either truck I've had, and not sure if this is a limp or not? There was no CEL but it definitely went to N while accelerating.

I have not had a chance to scan for codes yet. I'll be doing that when I get back home.
Any ideas? I know I want to build up a Mike L trans at some point. But im still trying to recover from the CP3 and injectors.

I just replaced spin on filter (and cleaned the magnet) about 300 miles before this happened. Fluid was last changed around 70k miles with new internal filter. Current Mileage is 100,730. Figures I just get over 100k and now something else.

Let me know what you think, or if you got any ideas. Im sure I have a call to Mike L in my future, but this seems random.

Thanks,

Could be the NSBU switch. Bad pressure switch manifold is another possibility, as is a sticking valve.

I'd call Mike L.
I thought about NSBU switch, but looks like 6 speeds use an internal switch that are not known to fail like the older external units.
possible its a valve or switch manifold. I installed the TransgoJr back around 70k miles when I last drained the fluid and changed out the internal filter.
I'll probably give him a call tomorrow.

Also, does anyone know if the PPE or EFI live will scan the TCM for codes? or is it only a Tech2?

What did you use for fluid? Transynd or Dex VI? Were you running your PPE level 2, 90 hp tune?

I've been running AMSoil TorqueDrive (same I had in my last LBZ for nearly 60k miles with no issues).
Yes PPE level 2, 90HP. also, this was an empty run ( no load or trailer). just myself and 1 passenger.

I actually came across another guy with an 07 classic on another forum that was experiencing the same thing I did. Never saw a follow up post. I signed up and sent him a PM to see if he ever got it figured out. We'll see.

Thanks.

Scan for codes with EFILIVE. I don't think the PPE will read the TCM codes, but I know EFILIVE can. The internal mode switch in the 6 speeds is not known to fail, but you could have a sticking E shift valve.

Scan for codes with EFILIVE. I don't think the PPE will read the TCM codes, but I know EFILIVE can. The internal mode switch in the 6 speeds is not known to fail, but you could have a sticking E shift valve.

Alright, so I got not codes via EFI live last night. For the heck of it, I scanned it with the PPE as well, but still came up empty.
I started doing some more searching last night, since I cant seem to get it to duplicate the issue, and I ran several hard passes getting up to highway speed last night, without any issues. Even tried to light acceleration runs, since thats what I was doing at the time it happened the other night. Still nothing, trans clicks through gears perfectly.

So after my searching, I had an epiphany. I have had this Banks SpeedBrake on for probably 18-20k miles now. I found a handful of threads across multiple boards of people having the same issue and all have the Banks SpeedBrake. So I have a feeling I'm experiencing an issue with the Banks unit, not the Allison. I will note that right after I first install the SpeedBrake, I had a weird episode where the torque converter stayed locked up when I was coming to a stop and it started pushing through the brakes and eventually stalled out. I called Banks and they sent out a replacement control unit. Havent had the issue since. Now this Shift Range inhibited starts and several other folks with the speed brake are experiencing the same thing.

I think I have a call to Banks in order. I'll update after that call.
Thanks guys.

Well I talked to Banks support and they acknowledged the issue and have heard of it on other trucks with the 2 speed allison. They seem to believe that its caused by a communication loss across the obd2 interface cable.
They are sending a replacement cable. Until then, I'll leave it unhooked for now since I wont need it until the next trip with the camper.
I'm also going to go through all the connections for the speedbrake and check to make sure they are clean and the pins are in good shape.

I do give Banks credit for stepping up and willing to send a replacement cable since its been about 15 months since I purchased it. But hopefully this works. if not, I guess I see if they will take it back. I actually like the speedbrake, its very effective when towing or hauling heavy.

FYI, here's a few links to other folks issues. (not sure if Im allowed to link to other forums, if not let me know and I'll remove them).
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/3-...s-tuners/344847-banks-speed-brake-issues.html
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/68...225-issues-banks-speed-brake.html#post4256946

I'll keep you updated.

I have a tune in my 2005 that uses the Variable Turbo as an exaust brake. I am sure others also have this available in their tunes. So you don't need the 'troublesome' Banks speedbrake.

I have a tune in my 2005 that uses the Variable Turbo as an exaust brake. I am sure others also have this available in their tunes. So you don't need the 'troublesome' Banks speedbrake.
I assume your running this tune via efi live?
I actually have efi live. I just really like the ppe tune.
May be I'll do a DSP switch to go from stock for diag purposes, to PPE 90HP, PPE 90HP with turbobrake, I dont need more than that. Gotta make the trans last a while...

Yes, Killerbee uses EFI live. I know the brakes get hot and start to make noise when you push them on the grapevine towing. The Turbobrake helps with that. Esp. when the engine hits 5000 RPM during grade braking...

If PPE has a turbo brake then problem solved and the other parts can hit fleabay.

The BANKS speed brake does quite a bit more than the turbo brake does, but you can do it yourself with EFILIVE and manually downshifting when needed. And with EFILIVE you can do ALOT better than any of the PPE tunes. PPE makes a good box tuner, but it cannot compete with a proper custom tune. And for towing dial it back to about 50-65 HP over stock. 90HP over stock is pushing your ally to the limit, and with added weight you are stepping beyond your safety factor.

Yeah, I recently got my EGT gauge hooked back up and saw some pretty high numbers unloaded so I can only imagine how hot it was running with the trailer fully loaded.
I should probably drop it down to the 40hp tune to keep the temps in check. I primarily run the 90HP level 2 PPE tune since its the lowest tune that still turns off the EGR codes. Since im running the blocker plate.

I definitely like the speed brake when its enabled. Its very effective. If I can obtain the same thing with EFI live, then I'd probably move that route. How reliable is the DSP5 switch setup?
Im always leery messing the ECM since I had a problem when I first bought this truck, which left it unable to start, and ended up getting a new ECM and harness plug from the dealer.
Would it be wise to leave my factory ecm in stock form and get a different ecm to setup for DSP5? That way if something goes wrong, I can swap the original ecm back in?

Do we have any recommended vendors that do good reliable tuning?
If I do go the DSP5 route, Id probably End up with something like this:
1: DD ~90HP tune
2: TOW ~40HP tune
3: TOW ~40HP tune with Turbo brake
4: ??
5: 100% STOCK

im not into racing, just reliability and towing power so I dont need anything crazy.

Well, new cable arrived from Banks. Before I had a chance to swap it out it happened again last night. This time, I was just barely rolling (light just turned green) maybe 5mph, then went to Neutral (Shift Range Inhibited). Mind you, this is with the OBD2 cable unplugged from the dash connector (this connects the Banks Speedbrake to the OBD2 port). So of course im not happy, I get it home and decide to pull the harness from the control box under the hood (since I was told from Banks that the unit is just passive when its not connected). I start it up and it acts like theres no turbo. No whistle, no vane position movement. and no power, just dumps black smoke when you get on it. So I go back and plug that back in. Called Banks this morning. They think its now the harness which runs down to the trans connector (makes sense). So Im heading home now and Im just going to pull it all out and see what happens. If it doesnt repeat in the next 2 weeks, then its all going in a box and going back to Banks for them to deal with.

:mad2:
Its too bad, because when I have the Speedbrake turned on, its works great. But when the support folks at Banks make it seem like their not interested in helping and its definitely not their product messing up. Must be my truck... Maybe..... It just puts a bad taste in my mouth. I had a bad experience with their sales folks before I bought it and that should have been a warning. oh well. We'll see how this goes.
:rant:

If you were driving a CTD i think they would be friendlier. Banks doesn't have a real good track record with DMaxes.

If you were driving a CTD i think they would be friendlier. Banks doesn't have a real good track record with DMaxes.

Their stuff works, it's just over priced for what you actual get.

Well, I unplugged the connector from the trans, and it happened again. So I started thinking about this... I plugged in my old edge insight. While Im in Drive (stopped or moving) and I hit the menu button on the edge, it goes to Neutral and "Shift Range Inhibited". I shift to N, back D and keep going. I cant repeat the process until I shut it down, and start it back up. So it appears it only happens once per startup cycle.

I ended up unplugging all harnesses for the Speedbrake (Trans, OBD2, Engine, Fuse Box) and hooked up the edge and tried to duplicate the above. Can't get it to happen. The only time I can duplicate the above issue (with the Edge menu button) is when the Banks engine harness is connected. I looked over the harness, cant see anything physical that would cause a short or bad connection. I check the pins with an ohm meter. All but 3 are connected straight through. I called Banks, they confirmed that 3 of the wires are intercepted and actually go through the SpeedBrake module (vane position sense, vane position motor, High Speed GMLAN).

So that brings me to GMLAN. when the banks engine harness is connected, I notice that sometimes the XM text readout on the stock stereo gets stuck. It either freezes continues to show the previous station/song. When the banks engine harness is removed (or all of the harness is disconnected) I dont have that problem. Am I correct in thinking that the Banks unit/harness is causing noise/traffic/interference on the GMLAN circuit, which in turn affects the Class2 Data bus?
Banks is setting up an RMA for me to send it all back to them for testing. Im really tempted to just get rid of it and go the EFI live route.

If you decide to go the EFILIVE route, buy a DSP5 switch and download my LBZ DSP5 tune from the tune library.

Back