• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DIY BD1 Programming - Burn your own chips!

You're running lower than stock compression ratio, like around 18:1 on that motor, right? Or is it near stock running with head studs and a girdle to keep the heads on and the bottom end together to run 20+ psi? Can't wait for fuel mileage numbers once you get it all dialed in.

Yep 18 to one so getting boost numbers that low in the rpm range is a good thing. Should run nice in a stock compression truck. Better to test it and make sure than blow up someones truck.

CAn you program chips for OBD 1?

If you're talking to me, Dennis, the answer is no. Wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to if given the equipment, either. Old dog, old tricks. What I am interested in, as you well know by now, is a max MPG set up of OBD-II tune, injectors and turbo (and possibly taller differential gearing) for my stock motor '98 K2500 Suburban.

Ok. Getting ready to put a military 6.2 takeout with my 6.5 heads in my old truck. Wondering if I should use a thicker gasket to lower compression. My heads are the chinese new manufacture. I'm wondering if I should just use the 6.2 heads. I'll pm you as soon as I get it in my truck.

I don't really know what I should do. Asking advice before I pull the trigger. The 6.2 looks like it's drop in ready. Been resealed, new glow plugs, and new fuel pump in military crate.

At the very least I would pull the heads and pan to see what your putting in your truck. never know what you'll find.

After I get the new crank in I wanna work on my tune! I converted my truck to 5-speed. Shouldn't I need a different file to start with? Start with a manual trans file?

So I installed paveltolz's ATT and got a tune to test. Took me a while to figure out my POS burner, but once i did it's been pretty smooth.

So far pretty happy. I'm going to be picking up a 4-horse trailer in the next day or two so we'll see how she does towing.

Going to see how the tune/turbo combo affects your mileage in various scenarios, like if it improves, and if so how much and what the final numbers are for the different situations, ie: towing, city, highway, combined?

Going to see how the tune/turbo combo affects your mileage in various scenarios, like if it improves, and if so how much and what the final numbers are for the different situations, ie: towing, city, highway, combined?

Yes, that's the plan.

I've talked to Slim and he's prepping a new turbo to send to me.

I'm also going see about getting some dyno time in.

There's one big caveat to my set up. As it is, I am running a 5521 tune on a 5068 pump. Neither Slim nor I thought it was possible, but my truck is running well. How well remains to be seen, I think.

If I run it on a dyno, here are the configurations I plan to run:

• Stock chip and 5068 pump with GM-4
  • Stock chip and 5068 pump with ATT
  • ATT tow tune and 5068 pump with GM-4
  • ATT tow tune and 5068 pump with ATT
  • Stock chip and 5521 pump with GM-4
  • Stock chip and 5521 pump with ATT
  • ATT tow tune and 5521 pump with GM-4
  • ATT tow tune and 5521 pump with ATT

Additionally, I am considering hooking up the horse trailer and throwing some dead weight in it and towing for say 100 miles under each of those scenarios. I would log ground speed, distance traveled, altitude differences (using a GPS), max EGT, and number of gallons consumed for the run.

The goal would be just as you say: Under each of those configurations, I would be able to establish a rough idea of where the numbers fall. Obviously only extended use under each scenario would yield a solid benchmark, but I'm not interested in spending a year or more trying out each of those configurations.

What I will say is that so far I'm happy with what I've got from Slim. Spend about an hour on the phone with him tonight trying to figure out why I couldn't burn a chip properly. Turns out I'm just a dumb@ss. :mad2:

Additionally, I am considering hooking up the horse trailer and throwing some dead weight in it

Hopefully that's old engine blocks and scrap metal, not dead horses!:yikes:

Interesting that the two different pumps/tunes seem to be playing nice with each other when common wisdom has said for all these years that the two '94 3500HD pumps weren't interchangeable. Could it be that the oddball was rebuilt at some time with the other's parts?

• Stock chip and 5068 pump with GM-4
  • Stock chip and 5068 pump with ATT
  • ATT tow tune and 5068 pump with GM-4
  • ATT tow tune and 5068 pump with ATT
  • Stock chip and 5521 pump with GM-4
  • Stock chip and 5521 pump with ATT
  • ATT tow tune and 5521 pump with GM-4
  • ATT tow tune and 5521 pump with ATT

Additionally, I am considering hooking up the horse trailer and throwing some dead weight in it and towing for say 100 miles under each of those scenarios.
Wow! That's gonna be pretty costly. Not to mention time consuming...

Yes to costly and time consuming. Not sure the wife will go for that many, but I would like to run it as many times as I can. Might not happen immediately, either. Will just have to see.

Back