• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Isuzu 4BD2T diesel swap into Suburban

When your doing custom stuff you will always have to redo things, so onto the final version of my oil pan.
The original I felt like I cut to much out of it.
The second was going to be a 4BD2 pan flange spiced into a 6.5 pan.
This final one is a 4BD1 oil pan. Its the same as a 4BD2 mounting wise and does not have the extra volume area next to the oil filter.
I welded it up after carful measurments then did a leak test on it. Filled it up with water and have zero leaks.

DSCN3224.JPG
Also look close at this pic, to the right of pan is a drain tube for oil back to the pan that I capped off. What could I use it for? its only 5/16" I believe originaly it used for the Provent drain, but on my 4BD2 its in the dip stick tube, so leaves this one open for something.
DSCN3225.JPG

Much less of the pan needed to be moded than the first one. I get to keep much more oil capacity now!

DSCN3227.JPG

I wonder if there are any reliable oil level sensors you could put on it? Even if it is just a switch that would let you know the oil is getting low before it gets too low.

I have an 88 Ford Crown Vic with the 5.0 motor which has a low oil sensor. It's kind of handy to have in an older motor that uses/looses a little bit of oil. I'm not sure how it works, except that it has a sensor in the side of the pan.

Don

Got the "air" part of the I/C installed today. Still have to install the water side of the system radiator and pump for it. These are not very good pictures. Im planning to powdercoat the pips red. The aluminum seems to get really ugly in a short time.

I'll be posting another video shortly about the flanging tool I made and posted pictures of earlier in this thread. (waiting for it to upload to youtube)

DSCN3229.JPG
DSCN3228.JPG

Very nice job!!

Its weired I subscribed to the thread for instant e mails and I got none.
I missed the ebay post thank you for this king of me!!

Im impressed when are you going ti start it? When you pull the engine take pics of the adapter plate and transmission. I would like to see that.

My gas engine wont have the vacuum pump so I can use the one off the alternator?

Hopfully will start it in a week or two. Finishing up the inter cooler set up, but its raining today so....
Pics of the adapter plate are at the begining of the thread somewhere.
You are starting with a gas truck right?, so have vacuum power assist right? If yes, then yes you can keep the Isuzu alt to send vac to booster.
I may have a lead on another running engine just waiting for the guy to contact me with more info. Are you interested in it?
It will be around $1300-1450 + shipping from FL Guessing shipping to be $500??? It supposed to be a running engine though!

Did not get a thing done on the Burb today, but yesterday I got the radiator for the intercooler inplace. Still have to plumb it in yet.

I used some 1/4" metal to bolt across the mounting tabs of the cooler then welded another 1/4" peice coming off the core support. Underneath has more supports also. Its in there very nicely.
DSCN3232.JPG

Like my licence block?
Radiator should get plenty of air flow.
DSCN3231.JPG

Got the IC radiator plumbed in today.

Here is the radiator with the water pump mounted to it.
DSCN3233.JPG
DSCN3234.JPG
IC box. I used a fill neck from a motorcycle. It worked perfect and give me an easy expantion tank hook up.
DSCN3235.JPG
DSCN3236.JPG
Radiator mount welded in and painted.
DSCN3238.JPG

Getting closer. Got some detail stuff done today like removed the 6.5 glow plug harness stuff. Got alt wires seperated from main harness and in its own conduit, same with temp sensor wire, a/c wires.
Reinstalled throttle cable and main ground wire.
The trans dip stick hold down I think on All 94 and up bolts to the intake. On the 93 it bolts to the bell housing, so I bought a new 93 stick and tube. Also, bought a 93 coolant recovery tank. Im going to use it for the Intercooler. Going to remove the Isuzu water/fuel seperator and install the tank in the stock location on fire wall. Then move water/fuel sep to a bracket I think will work.
No pictures today, but I'll get some soon.

Thanks for sharing

I am also waiting eagerly for the outcome and very much appreciate all the photos videos and time you are taking to share your work with us Leroy...I am hoping it turns out to be everything you expect & more :thumbsup:

Thanks. I enjoy it, its my therapy!
Did not get much at all done today. One little fitting took me hours to figure out what to do with it. On the power steering pressure hose from the Isuzu its got a male flare that is'int quite 3/8" flare or -6 jic. -8 is to big. The new fitting coming off hydro boost and the steering gear box is a 3/8" male flare, so I spent time tring to mate the two. Finaly I found a female flare to flare union that I made work. So, tomorrow I "should" have the steering/brakes plumbed in!!

Got a new engine coolant overflow tank.

DSCN3242.JPG
DSCN3240.JPG

I decided to remove the Isuzu water/fuel seperator and use the stock 6.5 FFM. It has a water seperator in it and also has the WIF sensor and heater that I might as well take advantage of.
I made two extension cables for it and mounted it on pass inner fender. I reused the drain valve from the 6.5 also.
DSCN3243.JPG
DSCN3245.JPG
DSCN3246.JPG
I got a gasser air filter box. I could have used it instead of modifiying the K47. The in/out lets are in the right spots.
DSCN3244.JPG

OK changed my mind again. I moved the FFM to make room for the second expantion tank. Its for the water to air IC. Not even sure if it needs it, but atleast its there if I do.
The bracket is made from some 2" plate and I welded it to an old OEM flat panel air box inner fender bracket so it could be bolted in easily.

DSCN3254.JPG

FFM's new home. Drain valve just to right of it.
DSCN3253.JPG

DSCN3252.JPG

Back