PTO?

Discussion in 'GM Manual Transmissions' started by Michaeljp86, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Michaeljp86

Michaeljp86 EVIL GENIUS

Im not familiar with GM manual transmissions. Can you put a PTO on any of them? Id like to build a wrecker and would like a PTO to run a hydraulic pump.

2. GM Guy

GM Guy Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast

yes sir, there are PTos available for the NV4500. one pops up on E-bay every once in a while. I would say go to a salvage yard so that you get one with all the install stuff needed. (are they all lever or cable engage, or do they have solenoids on them yet?) not up on my pickup PTOs.. I do know they have air shift on the bigger trucks, but as far as pickup PTOs, I am kind of lost!

I dont know if the truck needs the PTO prep package, as I think the duramax generation needs it selected so that there is more floorboard clearance, IIRC.

3. GM Guy

just typed in PTO on E-bay and plenty popped up. didnt see any that specifed NV4500 though.

4. Michaeljp86

Michaeljp86 EVIL GENIUS

I found about 4 of them on ebay that I think would work. I was reading about the allison 1000, other then that I dont think you can get a PTO on a GM automatic.

Mosth if the wreckers I seen have a cable to engage it, some of the new ones may be electric.

5. GM Guy

I think the big borg-warner cases on the 1 tons might be PTO capable themselves, so that is how one cheats with an auto. or get an engine driven pump.

6. Michaeljp86

Michaeljp86 EVIL GENIUS

How does a PTO work, on a transfer case wouldnt you have to have the transmission in drive to run a pto?

7. GM Guy

yes you would. IDK if setting the cruise with t-case in neutral would do it or not.

8. Michaeljp86

Michaeljp86 EVIL GENIUS

I think you put the T case in neutral and then run the PTO through the transmission.

9. GM Guy

yes, but I was wondering how to set it so that it maintained pto speed. maybe a n OEM PTO prep package will have tcc lockup built in?

10. Michaeljp86

Michaeljp86 EVIL GENIUS

Im not sure about a tcc lockup, I heard on the dmax with a allison 1000 you set the cruise to hold the speed. Seems like a tcc lockup would be about the only way to go.