1. Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I've decided to do a Cummin's conversion

Discussion in 'Diesel Engine Conversions' started by FellowTraveler, Apr 27, 2016.

1. FellowTraveler

FellowTraveler Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Nature Coast
    Its a bear of a job at my age and health level but a can do.

The trans would revert to 3 speed only w/o power and not leave me stranded, manual conversion is good idea too.

Well the spring starter is the cheapest of of the non-electric starter variants (air, hydraulic) just mulling it for now and parts that go bad in units are small compared to say a complete electric starter..

When I travel I do carry spares.

MrMarty51 likes this.
  2. Will L.

Will L. Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Boulder City Nv
    Yeah, not sure how the cummins starter would be inside the other rig, but not too bad in a dodge iirc.

Are you replacing the fuel solenoid with a cable?
    If so, come up With anti theft plan, or at least make cable not easily noticed.

Since that is the default on the trans, cool!

If you already carry spares, just use ammo cans to hold them in for emp protection and to keep them from getting damaged in normal transport. Don’t sweat the battery, emp adds power to it.

MrMarty51 and FellowTraveler like this.
  3. THEFERMANATOR

THEFERMANATOR FRANKENBURBAN Staff Member Lead Moderator

May 9, 2008
    ZEPHYRHILLS FL
    What auto climate control? I've never seen auto climate control in a gmt-400. Yours should have the 96-2000 model basic control head that could care less if the engine is running. Stock it sends a signal to the ecm which in turn controls the a/c relay, but that is simple enough to bypass.

4. FellowTraveler

Sep 29, 2014
    Nature Coast
    Happy New Year FERM, as usual I suspected you'd chime in on that one "with facts" and I thank you.

I was reading one built as it related to a 99 Chevy electrical interfacing on a between the 6.5td and 6bt 12 valve on another site and the poster stated that there needs to be a 4 tooth signal from the crank sensor for the HVAC to operate then they went on how they did theirs by notching the 6bt balancer at two other locations all 45 deg apart. I haven't jumped into that one yet and did figure if anyone knew the facts on it "it would be you."

MrMarty51 likes this.
  5. FellowTraveler

Sep 29, 2014
    Nature Coast
    Happy New Year!

Yep, the Dodge starter hands down is an easy R&R on the Burb.....

Yes, using a cable & yes already have a few counter measures for that one.

I always liked the 2 year run Dodge 47RH because of its hydro tail housing on the old Ram 3500 when it came time to rebuild it the cost was what I call reasonable however; for this conversion I studied it and figured I could handle a built & upgrade it for reliability and torque capacity at the same time.

I'm shielding the harness where ever I can "still in a learning curve on this one."

Yep, its been a long time but the way I see it "it's worth the time invested."

MrMarty51 likes this.
  6. FellowTraveler

Sep 29, 2014
    Nature Coast
    In hindsight I like the 700r4 options available these days with HP capacity of 700+ HP w/constant pressure valve body and diesel option giving 4 forward gears w/o power so L/U would be lost "that's one gear more than the 47RH too play with."

Husker6.5, Will L. and MrMarty51 like this.
  7. THEFERMANATOR

THEFERMANATOR FRANKENBURBAN Staff Member Lead Moderator

May 9, 2008
    ZEPHYRHILLS FL
    Many for some reason still think you must retain the stock 6.5l ECM for the guages to work which is as false as can be as the ECM does nothing in a diesel for the cluster. If you retain the ECM and stock wiring, then yes you would have to provide the ECM with a crank signal. But it's FAR easier to just run the A/C request to a relay and install a WOT cutoff switch if you want one. Just make sure and keep all your safety switched wired correctly as GM did it really screwy stock. I would reccomend starting over and do your own wiring for the safety switches.

8. FellowTraveler

Sep 29, 2014
    Nature Coast
    You rock FERM I will do as suggested, thanks.

MrMarty51 likes this.