1. Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Explain leaky water pump and head gasket replacement

Discussion in '04.5-05 LLY' started by Dieseldad97, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Dieseldad97

Dieseldad97 I now know why.

My LLY has leaked antifreeze on and off for 4 years now. I'm thinking of replacing the water pump and T-stats. I'm really shit scared that down the road I'll have signs of head gasket failure. I've read threads with others having this happen.

I have 205K miles, stock with no tuner on the truck and it's not an overheater.

The upper rad hose is soft when cold, and it's never had any bubbles in the tank.

Just looking for some advise or good discussion here. Thanks!

2. THEFERMANATOR

THEFERMANATOR FRANKENBURBAN Staff Member Lead Moderator

May 9, 2008
    ZEPHYRHILLS FL
    The head gasket issue is an issue with LLY's. It has nothing to do with overheating, but how the head gaskets were put together. It's all a crap shoot though, so honestly don't sweat it. It is a possibility, but I would worry more about losing injectors than I would head gaskets.

3. Dieseldad97

What are the chances a leaky headgasket would be pushing my antifreeze through the waterpump like taking the path of least resistance? Or would the pressure go into my overflow instead? Sorry if I don't make sense as I need some education here LOL.

4. NVW

NVW Well-Known Member

May 5, 2008
    Castor, AB.
    Gerald, if your head gaskets were letting combustion into the coolant, the upper rad hose would be hard and likely blow it out the cap. I think you just have a leaky water pump seal or gasket.

WarWagon likes this.
  5. NVW

NVW Well-Known Member

May 5, 2008
    Castor, AB.
    Tighten all the hose clamps if they are the warm gear type, I had some start to leak when the cold weather came.

6. Dieseldad97

I did that last year Leo. I pressurized the system and lay under the truck and saw the leak coming from the pump. I wish it was that easy as a loose clamp haha. The truck is working excellent and I'm worried if I fix the pump...because if the headgaskets blow out after that, I'm gonna have a nice lawn ornament.

7. NVW

NVW Well-Known Member

May 5, 2008
    Castor, AB.
    Have a beer and relax:D

Can't believe it's been 4 years already since you got the new truck.

Dieseldad97 likes this.
  8. Will L.

Will L. Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Boulder City Nv
    Why would the head gaskets blow because of a new waterpump. If anything a bad waterpump risks more damage than a new one.

If the waterpump is leaking out the weep hole, change it asap because the coolant will get to the sealed bearing and can cause it to seize.

9. THEFERMANATOR

THEFERMANATOR FRANKENBURBAN Staff Member Lead Moderator

May 9, 2008
    ZEPHYRHILLS FL
    Water pumps let go, that happens once they're 6-7 years old. I wouldn't sweat it, fix the pump, and worry about it if it happens.

10. Dieseldad97

Hired an ex mechanic friend and replaced water pump and t-stats today. I finally have cabin heat haha. It's going to be nice not having a puddle under my truck.

WarWagon and Will L. like this.