1. Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Can you plow snow with a 5-speed?

Discussion in 'General Truck Uses' started by Z79outlaw, May 17, 2008.

1. Z79outlaw

Z79outlaw Its tougher in Wisconsin

Just as it says can you plow snow with a 5-speed? nothing on a commercial basis, but just private, maybe my driveway and a few family members somthing like that. How much of a pain in the ass would it be? Just thinkin since I've seen quite a few for sale around here in the off months, and for the time being I've decided to keep my 98

2. Ranger

Ranger Spoolin that turbo ;0)

you *can* plow with a manual, but it's easier with a automatic. one hand steering, one hand controlling blade.. now whatcha gonna shift gears with? :)

Although you *COULD* fabricate a mounted control that would go on the top of the stick, like a 4 way hat-switch of sorts.. then you could keep your hand on the shifer while manipulating the blade.

3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 Just a speck on the wall

This is how it is done:

Although this is a 6-speed, done it with a five speed to. And many 2o-3o hour pushes have been done. Your leg gets a little tired after a while... but it never falls asleep

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      66.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 17, 2008
  4. gearhead

gearhead Harley Man

May 8, 2008
    I have a hand held controle for the plow with my 6 speed

5. fbh31118

fbh31118 Cadet

May 9, 2008
    Augusta, Michian
    If you have a family history of knee problems I wouldn't recommend it.:lol:

You shouldnt have any problems at all other than getting it all coordianted. I've never had any thing with an auto to plow with, it just boils down to conviance more than anything.

6. Philbilly2

I plow with a couple of guys who swear by manuals for plowing. All I can tell you is that they will blow your mind on the fuel economy that they get while pushing. Same trucks, if they are stick use half the fuel pushing the same lots. I have tested it time and time again with different guys, different trucks same result.

7. Deere Freek

Deere Freek Recruit

May 5, 2008
    Hastings, MI
    I kinda like it, keeps me awake. I do it mostly with an auto. There are people out their that swear by there stick, their claim is that a clutch is cheaper to replace which makes sence to me (i guess)

8. 03demax

03demax New Member

May 7, 2008
    I mounted the western controller on top of the shifter and hold on to that and use my thumb and for finger for the blade. I don't plow alot but it works for me. I have a 1990 GMC 1500 with a 4.3 v6 long bed reg cab 4x4 works nice.

9. precision37

precision37 Recruit

May 9, 2008
    New Hampshire, USA
    I plow with mine, it's just real slow in reverse.

10. Philbilly2

That is a good point, my buddy has a 6 speed manual duramax and we plow the same route every snow. When we get in to some of the big open lots, you can really tell then. My backup speed is around 15mph where his is down around 10mph.

I miss my old gas trucks when backing up, 30mph in reverse was fun!

11. 01duramax6spd

01duramax6spd Recruit

May 6, 2008
    Seriously,who does anything but race with an auto :smilielol5:. Be a man and use your 5spd :smilielol5:.

12. rcpd34

rcpd34 Recruit

May 4, 2008
    MD
    I plowed one season w/a stick. Never again. My left leg was bigger than my right by March though...

13. scoot

scoot Recruit

May 5, 2008
    Bloomington, IL
    i plowed for a season with my old company and it was with a 6l gasser auto and it was nice like stated one hand on the wheel the other on the controller

14. FSTDMAX

FSTDMAX New Member

May 27, 2008
    Stillwater, MN
    The company I work for takes care of the 3M complex here in Minnesota wich is real big with a bunch of roads. We have a plow on an older GMC 2-ton 10-speed and it's alright for the roads but a pain in the arse for little stuff. If your just doin your driveway you should be able to get by no problem.

15. Matt Bachand

Matt Bachand Depends on the 6.5

Jun 10, 2008
    Worcester, MA
    Even with an automatic you still need to shift from Drive to Reverse, you'll get in rythm w/stick and be fine plowing. Tired clutch leg is all.

16. shortcircut65

shortcircut65 LT OFD N-49

Jul 29, 2008
    Norwich CT
    i plow with my D/A, and sometimes use my uncle's F-350 V-10 5-speed, and i would much rather use his only for the fact that it is a stick. when i didnt have my truck, i worked for him full time, and used multiple trucks of his, all fords, one 7.3, all autos except for the V-10, and i requested that one specific. nobody else wanted it, so i got it. like Deere Freek said, alot cheaper to replace a clutch!

he has the control like Philbilly2 has, but is mounted on the left side of the dash. not hard to use. stop, position blade, put into gear, (1st or 2nd) move forward, right hand on the wheel, left on the controller, stop, raise blade, put into reverse, go back. repeat.

Ken

17. Boge

Boge You talkin' to me?

Nov 20, 2008
    FL
    I would think its like plowing with a 10 wheeler. I ran a 10 speed 1 season up north. If you've driven a truck the leg wont hurt as much .. ;)

18. Sparky8370

Sparky8370 Do chickens have large talons

May 3, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Except in a little truck there's more back and forth. I know exactly what you're gettin at, because one of the trucks I plowed with was an old autocar 10 wheeler with a 10 speed. Not a big deal on the road because the only time you use the clutch is when taking off.

19. RayMich

RayMich Active Member

May 9, 2008
    Mid Michigan
    I would rather plow snow with a snow plow ):h

Oh, you meant with a truck equipped with a 5-speed transmission. Some people like plowing with a manual transmission and others don't like it. It all comes down to preference. If you have a a lot of small parking lots where you are using reverse a lot, you could end up with very well developed left leg muscles. :D

20. North Maine

North Maine Merchant Mariner

Jul 9, 2008
    Fort Kent, ME
    One benifit is you wont fall into the habit of using reverse as a brake, which way too many people do, which leads to torn up trannys after a couple seasons.