1. Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L60E reverse going bad, need info on exact modelto look for

Discussion in 'All Other Transmissions' started by Drago, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Drago

Drago Active Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Virginia
    4L60E reverse going bad, need info on exact model to look for. I got an odd duck, It's a 95 GMC 6.5L Nat Asp 2wd with a 4l60e tranny. It was a custom order for Va DOT fleet. just a quick look on the innernets shows me that not all 4l60e 's are the same. Is there a data plate somewhere under the muck that will let me know exactly what I need?

2. David Wooton

David Wooton New Member

Nov 18, 2016
    And 95 is when the 4L60E what to pulse-width modulated for the torque converter and 96 they went to OBD2 the only difference between 95 and up to 98 is the internal wiring harness and the 3-2 down shift solenoid if you get on 96298 all you have to do is change the internal wiring harness which is right under the pan and the 3 2 down shift solenoid and the reason that has to be changed because it runs on a different ohms then the later ones because they went to OBD2

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3. THEFERMANATOR

THEFERMANATOR FRANKENBURBAN Staff Member Lead Moderator

May 9, 2008
    ZEPHYRHILLS FL
    They reversed the operation of it is what I understand. Or you can use a 93-94 by swapping in your 95 harness, and letting the tcc pwm solenoid hang in the pan.

4. David Wooton

David Wooton New Member

Nov 18, 2016
    You can use any truck transmission with 4L60E that goes from 96 to 98 but use the 95 wiring harness and the 3-2 downshift solenoid and the correct torque converter for your engine and year I used a 97 in a 95 truck last month by doing this oh and by the way I rebuild transmissions for a living

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk