• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ZF 650 Tranny Ford vs Chevy

Shad

Reaction score
Does anyone know the difference between a ZF650 (6 speed manual) in a Ford vs Chevy? Wondering can a Ford be retro to fit in a Chevy.

I am trying to find a ZF-650 transmission for a 2003 Chevy 2500HD 4X4 6.6L Duramax.

Thanks in advance for any and all help !!!

Here is the short version.:

Stick with a slushbox in the Dmax. If the '03 has a ZF-6 which needs rebuilding, pray that the input shaft is still good and contact Midwest Transmissions. If the input shaft is shot, you are out of options.

GM version is basically now an absolute relic. Go see an archeologist to try and find one at a dig. Am hearing that the ancient Egyptians might have some in their undiscovered Pharo burial sites. I even had a chat with ZF in the homeland (correct, Germany) and you know the GM variant ZF-6 is a dead item when the manufacturer recommends to look for another automatic versus the manual.

Ford versions are still available via reman. Shoot, I can even convert my OBS ZF-5 to a ZF-6 and just might do that.

Here is a slightly longer version:

Neither will cross-over and bolt to the other (ie: Ford variant will not bolt to a GM block). I did look into whether it was possible to separate the front half (integrated bellhousing section) of a Ford variant and put a GM on the back half with the Ford gears, but the limiting factor was the input shaft. To get a GM input shaft, see the comments about employing an archeologist. Or maybe a physic reader will have better luck.

Gear ratios are the same.

GM used different gears (IIRC helix cut) which reportedly made them more quiet than the standard square gears in Ford's variant. I have ridden in both and neither seemed louder than the other. Downside to the helix gears was that they would not allow the owners to turn up the power as much before they blew. Naturally, these owners blamed the transmission for not handling power way above its design limits. Morons...

GM spec'd synthetic lube in order to avoid an external cooler and circulating pump where Ford spec'd standard ATF (non-synthetic) which required an external cooler and circulating pump. Am not clear whether running synthetic in the Ford variant could eliminate the cooler and pump.

Last edited:
Back