• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Youngin' looking for some advice when getting a CDL

BigBlueChevy

Compression Ignition Addict
Reaction score
I'm going next Wednesday on my 19th B-day(present to me I guess) to get my class A CDL with air brake endorsement. I've been doing quite a bit of studying on down time at work and taking on some of the online "practice tests". Each one I've passed with almost little to no effort. I was hoping some of the veterans here would be able to share some of there tips and experiences when getting there CDL?

Not sure how it works in other states but Jersey you go for the written test, if you pass you get a 20 day waiting period then take the road test.

I'll be using the International for the road test, so while I'm asking, what should I watch out for to avoid having the truck fail instead of me?

Advice would be great lol):h

All the written tests are easily passed if you have a decent brain. On the road test, try and find out the normal route and time of day the testers like to use. These things are the big unknown. Memorize ALL the signs. Try and practice that route with a big truck if you can. Concentrate on how smoothly you drive. Be in the right gear at all times, don't tailgate, don't run over the 4-wheelers, etc.

Leave your attitude, cologne and cell phone at home.

drive the truck like your dancing with a fat chick....wide turns and slow and steady on the brakes!!!!

Its been close to twenty years since I got mine, but back then the part of the test that sunk alot of testees was the pre-trip inspection. In Iowa, you have to do a pre-trip walk-around the truck before you go on the road test. Now, though, the testers allow the driver to carry a "cheat" card around with them when they do the pre-trip. Make sure to not just go through the motions of a pre-trip(if you have to do one in Jersey), but make sure to explain to the tester everything you are doing and checking for.
On the road, make sure to constantly scan; mirrors, road, right-to-left. If you are attentative to what you are doing, the tester is going to be confident that you know what you're doind and might just relax a little.
Pulling a trailer? Make sure to swing wide; too wide is better than to close.:smile5:
Really, just follow the rules of the road, relax, and enjoy the drive!

Ya they got me on a merge into traffic and going under an overpass all at the same time. Wanted to know what the height was for the overpass. And what made it worse was it was diff from one side to the other.

Luckily the International has an Allison:thumbsup:, so short of engine braking on declines and when coming to a stop I'm hoping it will handle the gear part:D. Do they mark you down for using high and low range? I'm so used to driving that thing loaded down with about 4 tons of concrete in the dump body that I take off in low range(two speed rear), then split to high range after I'm in forth.

AK diesel driver when they asked about the overpass did you just miss the sign stating the height or it was unmarked? Guess I should measure the height of the truck and post a sticker up in the cab to please the inspector perhaps?

Stupid question but I have to ask. When going for the road test it says that you have to bring your own test vehicle(in my case the International). Do you need to have someone bring it over who has a CDL or am I allowed to drive the truck to the test sight myself?

I just missed the sign to many things going on at once. FWIW I guessed the right height for the other side. Can you get a full blown class A using an auto for the test?

Can you get a full blown class A using an auto for the test?

It is standard practice in the trucking industry to teach and test new students on automatics only. Lord help us.

Stupid question but I have to ask. When going for the road test it says that you have to bring your own test vehicle(in my case the International). Do you need to have someone bring it over who has a CDL or am I allowed to drive the truck to the test sight myself?

You are supposed to have a licensed driver bring the equipment in. The test center used to turn a blind eye to unlicensed drivers bringing in big trucks and even motorcycles to the test, but I think that is no longer the case. Better to play it safe and have the truck brought in by a licensed driver.

if you show up without a cdl driver you will get an auto fail for driving out of class...one of my co-workers was at his road test and pulled the truck ahead in line with out a icensed driver in the cab with him and they failed him for it....at least that is the rule here in NY

Guess I'll be waiting on getting the CDL until I can find someone licensed who can bring me over there then. Wont do me any good If I can't bring the truck over without risk of failing.

Do they really teach new CDL drivers on auto's only? I got lucky on my end. Learned how to drive a big rig starting with the Red international since it was an auto. Then moved on to the White international with the 4 speed manual. Then after a day straight of driving the white truck I got moved up to learning how to drive a Pete with a 10 speed in it. The Pete was defiantly me favorite.

You've got to know your pre-trip like the back of your hand. Practice it until you can do it in your sleep, it will be among the first things you do for your test. I remember being told to "call out" the height of upcoming overpasses too...seemed odd at the time, but it is quite practical. Know that you'll be driving over RR tracks, through a school zone, right on red, parking along a shoulder, complete stops, what lane to be in, reverse procedures, etc, and practice accordingly. That way it won't matter where the test loop is. And yeah, driving your test vehicle to the test is a big no-no!

Is there a "standard height" these bridges sit at? I know when I'm driving around almost all of them have the signs on them that say there height, but there seem to be some that don't have them.

Big rigs keep to the right. Approach RR tracks with hazards on, stop before tracks, look booth ways for oncoming trains, then proceed.(I used to do that in my truck for the longest time. Friends would flip because I'd put on my hazards and stop at railroad tracks like the big rigs). Always back up towards the drivers side, blow horn twice before moving(is that mandatory?)

Now what should I do for driving in a school zone? Anything different than driving my truck? I've never noticed any difference when a big rig passes a school zone as compared to a car(other than the car drivers are going to fast) And is it legal for a big rig to make a right on Red? I wouldn't do it anyway only because something that big wouldn't be worth getting into an accident for a few extra seconds of time. You just can't be in a rush with these big rigs.

nothing different for a school zone, however, I maintain the school zone speed limit during daylight hours. no standard height for bridges but there are supposed to be standard height for power lines, but don't count on it. Know your height.

you only need to stop at RR crossings if you are carrying People or Hazmat.

you only need to stop at RR crossings if you are carrying People or Hazmat.
Or if you're taking your road test.:smile5: I was told by instructors to stop at RRs, even though I was only testing for Class B w/ air endorsement.
As far as "standard height", If it's unmarked, it's 14' or higher, IIRC. Still need to call out unmarked heights...
School zones are simple. Make sure to be traveling at the correct speed as you enter the schoolzone/pass the sign. Stay in that speed until you pass the next posted speed limit sign or "end of school limits" sign. Hope this helps.

Or if you're taking your road test.:smile5: I was told by instructors to stop at RRs, even though I was only testing for Class B w/ air endorsement.
As far as "standard height", If it's unmarked, it's 14' or higher, IIRC. Still need to call out unmarked heights...
School zones are simple. Make sure to be traveling at the correct speed as you enter the schoolzone/pass the sign. Stay in that speed until you pass the next posted speed limit sign or "end of school limits" sign. Hope this helps.

Doesn't that only apply when school is "in session"? Or does this apply all the time in a big rig?

Doesn't that only apply when school is "in session"? Or does this apply all the time in a big rig?
That's a good question for an instructor to answer...'cause I don't remember. The old adage "better safe than sorry" dosen't always apply; I got points deducted for stopping at a flashing yellow instead of proceeding w/ caution (I freaked out a little). Slowing for a school zone sounds like a rule to follow no matter what time of year/day it is. You could always argue the point of night/summer school in your defense.

That's a good question for an instructor to answer...'cause I don't remember. The old adage "better safe than sorry" dosen't always apply; I got points deducted for stopping at a flashing yellow instead of proceeding w/ caution (I freaked out a little). Slowing for a school zone sounds like a rule to follow no matter what time of year/day it is. You could always argue the point of night/summer school in your defense.

hahaha the last thing I'd want to do is argue with the guy thats going to say yes or no to me getting that CDL:nono:

Back