• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

years of use 4l80e 3rd gen in second hole

floyd13

Reaction score
can i use a 04 4l80e in my 99 that has a 4l80e will i have computer or plug issues

The trans itself will interchange no problem. Just remember if you need parts to order them for the 04 as some of the electrical changed in 03, but they still function the same. You will have to change the nuetral safety switch as 04 is most likely the single plug whereas 99 was a dual plug. And you may need to change converters depending on what it came out of and what it's going into.

The trans itself will interchange no problem. Just remember if you need parts to order them for the 04 as some of the electrical changed in 03, but they still function the same. You will have to change the nuetral safety switch as 04 is most likely the single plug whereas 99 was a dual plug. And you may need to change converters depending on what it came out of and what it's going into.
both vehicles are Gmc 2500Hd with 4:10 ratio rears and RPO code MT1 so hopefully not a convertor isuue should be able to swap the nuetral safety off the 99 if both are the same correct

both vehicles are Gmc 2500Hd with 4:10 ratio rears and RPO code MT1 so hopefully not a convertor isuue should be able to swap the nuetral safety off the 99 if both are the same correct
If both have a 6.0l in them then the converter will work. GM didn't build a 2500hd until 01, and 99 could be either a gmt400 with a 5.7l, 7 4l, or 6.5l diesel, or a gmt800 with a 5.3l or 6.0l. In 04 the nuetral safety switch will most likely be a different single plug vs a 99 with a dual plug. MT1 is the RPO for the 4l80e, but there are several variations and different converters used depending on application and engine.

Back