• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

WTF? Are these splayed main caps?

restoguy

Reaction score
Anybody have info or experience with these? I found them on ebay, obviously. The description sounds like splayed caps, but the pic don't look like it. Maybe I need to contact the seller for answers. Anyone here checked into this before?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-Chevy-6-5-Diesel-center-main-bearing-caps-Pro-Gram-/330523242644?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf4b87094[/URL]

The description sounds like regular mains to me. Don't see angled or splayed mentioned anywhere.

In fact:

Center main caps (3) for 6.5L Chevy GMC Diesel flat bottom angle bolt center main caps

Sounds like stock mains to me...suppose you could interpret that to mean "angle bolt" instead of "flat bottom angle"...

Well the pic, I agree, does NOT show splayed main caps. But there are plenty of ebay sellers that use a pic(more like a line drawing) of a honda 4cyl to advertise their cummins diesel engine! Or any other engine for that matter. I'm suggesting maybe this is a stock file photo. The description of "flat bottom, angle bolt" sounds like splayed mains to me. Why bother mentioning the bolt if it's a stock replacement piece? There's only one bolt angle on stock 6.5's. I thought someone here might have seen these before I did and already checked into it. I guess I'll contact them to verify exactly what they are selling.

I contacted the seller and they confirmed that these ARE in fact SPLAYED main caps! My block is at the machine shop right now.......maybe I should try a set!

Here is where I got my splays, at one time I also think where Kennedy was getting them http://www.pro-gram.com/ IIRC mine were around $330 with shipping in 2005.

Current price $356.40 @ the Pro gram site now:

Search results: 1 product(s) in 1 page(s). Page: of 1
Item Number Category > Part Type > Manufacturer > Engine Type > Specific Engine Type > Part Family Description Photo Price Quantity
GM6.5CFA General Motors null > Main Caps > Pro-Gram Engineering > Big Block Billet > null > null GM 6.5 FLAT BOTTOM ANGLE BOLT CENTER MAIN CAPS FOR DIESEL BLOCK (3 pcs) $356.40

The ebay $226 price if in fact splayed Pro-Gram Engineering caps is a killer deal

But the caps on ebay don't include the six correctly-sized fasteners you'll need when splaying the block. The price from the homepage does (been there done that).

Back