• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Worn out turbo

Rodd

Recruit
Reaction score
On the 98 burb the turbo is about done. With 300k on the original engine I'm not keen on putting a performance turbo on it. My local parts stores have them for about $700. Not sure if there is a rebuild kit available. I have seen gm8's on ebay from $250 - 1000+. I thinking even though they say gm8 in the add, they are chinese crap. Any way to tell the difference?

If your ok with pulling and replacing the center cartridge on the turbo, they can be had at the local auto parts for around $150-200 iirc. youll most likely have to deal with some broken bolts on the exhaust housing, but that might be worth the cost when a OEM replacement runs $700

If your ok with pulling and replacing the center cartridge on the turbo, they can be had at the local auto parts for around $150-200 iirc. youll most likely have to deal with some broken bolts on the exhaust housing, but that might be worth the cost when a OEM replacement runs $700
I was looking for a rebuild kit but I can't find any. Do you happen to have a part number for it?

I found it. It's a turbocharger service kit. None of the big parts stores carry it. Rockauto has 2 different ones. Cardone and Rotomaster. The cardone is double the cost at $223. They look the same. Is there a difference?

Advance Auto used to show a cartridge but looking just now I don't see it anymore. I did find a complete rebuild kit on RA. I would stay away from Cardone as there rebuilt stuff is crap. And I don't know anything about Rotomaster though Advance Auto sells their turbos. Here is a rebuild kit from RA. Though I would look around to see if you can get the kit from another source like Summit where you can get warranty if it's not right.

Here is the cartridge on Summit. and two rebuild kits. I looked up my truck on their site (1995) but it should be the same for yours.

Back