• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Wiring in new radio.

cgreen

Recruit
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can simply tap into power, ground and ignition without having to buy a harness? I am going to replace the Bose head unit and run speaker wire from an amp to the doors and bypass all Bose stuff with new speakers and everything.

I dont know why you couldnt, the point of the new harness is so you dont have to cut into the OEM plug. When I installed my Kenwood I still had to run an ignition power (cant recall exactly why but thats what I did)
If it was me I would just run new power wires from the fuse block and leave the OEM harness alone. Its not that long of a run and there are plenty of places to tap into the block.

I hate my chimes. I think I will go with a Sony they have on sale at Crutchfield. 159 with three set of preamps, usb and aux inputs on front. I like the idea of loading several hundred songs on a thumb drive and not having to change anything for hours. I need to find a 4 channel amp and i've found an awesome deal on 6 1/2's from partsexpress. All I would need is tweeters and another set of passive crossovers. I already have a sub amp and flat mount 10 inch sub. I am spending about 3000 miles in my truck each month and want to have a good sound system. On second thought, i may just power the rear door speakers with the heat unit and go with a high power front amp. :agreed:

I dont know why you couldnt, the point of the new harness is so you dont have to cut into the OEM plug. When I installed my Kenwood I still had to run an ignition power (cant recall exactly why but thats what I did)
If it was me I would just run new power wires from the fuse block and leave the OEM harness alone. Its not that long of a run and there are plenty of places to tap into the block.

I'm guessing you had to run new because you couldn;t find switched power to the radio. Neither can I. What did you tap off of?

Here:

Radio 12v orange + radio harness
Radio Ground black/white - radio harness
Radio Ignition (Class 2 Serial Data)
Radio Illumination N/A
Factory Amp Turn-on pink + radio harness
Power Antenna N/A
LF Speaker +/- tan - gray +,- radio harness
Notes: If equipped, the amplifier is under the center console.
RF Speaker +/- lt. green - dk. green +,- radio harness
LR Speaker +/- brown - yellow +,- radio harness
RR Speaker +/- dk. blue - lt. blue +,- radio harness

...and you're gonna have to get your Switched Power from the Pink Wire in the Ignition Switch Harness.

I added a circuit off the panel on the left side of dash, cant recall which one though, I just checked with my test light till I found one that had the switching I wanted. Buss makes an add a circuit that is simple to use, pull the fuse on the circuit you want, place the add a circuit in that space and place the removed fuse in the add a circuit. The add a circuit has a place for a 10a fuse and a seperate line with a butt splice already in place. Easiest and cleanest way to add on that I have found.

Well got the cd player up and running. I need to find an amp now to power everything. I keep finding myself hitting the steering wheel controll to turn the volume up and nothing there. :eek: I got my door speakers and thought my tweeters from partsexpress saturday, but the tweeter box was empty. So I still have time to find my amp. It sucks without sounds, I'm just glad I haven't had to go out on a trip yet.

Back