• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Winter Tires: What to think?

Do you think Winter Tires should be mandatory for passenger vehicles in Winter State?

• I think all passenger vehicles should be required to have winter tires

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think the penalties for getting into an accident witout winter tires should be greater

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I don't need somebody telling me what tires to use. If you're worried about accidents, stay home.

Votes: 18 85.7%

• Total voters
I've never heard of Motomaster tires before. I'm assuming them to be a Canadian tire company?

Exactly... LOL... the company really IS called 'Canadian Tire' - as you see from the website. They carry freakin' -near everything.

Hey - something I saw down in the states a few years back - I was in a Les Schwab store in Oregon, and they had a sign up, advertising that they would 'sipe' (cut slits in) your tires, for a price. This was billed as a good alternative to buying winter tires.

I've never seen that up here. Is it a common practice? Better yet, does it work?

(I always thought it was the different rubber compound that did the job - normal tires lose their pliability at about -12*C, while the wife's Blizzaks were still pliable at -25*c)

Yeah it is very common down here. I've had 3 different sets of tires done in the past, and it honestly does make a huge difference in ice.

I haven't had my current set of mud tires done because siping & offroading doesn't go well together. The combination of larger voids in mud tires and spinning them in dirt/mud/rock they tend to tear chunks off and I didn't want to do that.

Yeah it is very common down here. I've had 3 different sets of tires done in the past, and it honestly does make a huge difference in ice.

I haven't had my current set of mud tires done because siping & offroading doesn't go well together. The combination of larger voids in mud tires and spinning them in dirt/mud/rock they tend to tear chunks off and I didn't want to do that.

x2

Don't do the aftermarket siping if you drive on a lot of gravel roads. It takes a lot of chunks out of your tread over time.

Where I use to live it would frequently put down heavy snow with temps at 35 degrees. roads end up being packed white ice with a layer of water on top. Can't even stand without falling on your butt.

Daughter in Co Springs gets her all season tires siped every fall.

What are the BFG ATs considered? They are excellent on snow and not too bad on ice.

I disagree. Every time I've driven a truck with BFG A/Ts I've hated how they were in the snow and ice, just not that great of traction IMO. Nothing like my Nitto Terra Grapplers, those were good in the ice.

I disagree. Every time I've driven a truck with BFG A/Ts I've hated how they were in the snow and ice, just not that great of traction IMO. Nothing like my Nitto Terra Grapplers, those were good in the ice.
Maybe the fact that there is 7000 lbs on them makes the difference. I've never had the A/Ts on anything other than the 4 HDs I've had. Last March we drove 350 miles in the worst blizzard conditions I've ever encountered from the Ne/Co state line to Co Springs and it was VERY sure footed.
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?t=9849
Your results may vary...):h

here is what I just put on the back of my wifes 2 wheel drive dually. I drove it today with no weight in the bed and the roads had a few inches on them, everyone was going 15 mpg but i had no problems what so ever. She can drive good for a girl too :D I have a 4x4 and NEVER use it in snow, thats hows I was raised :D
jttruckdghdfg085.jpg

jttruckdghdfg088.jpg

I was using my original actuator up untill 2 years ago, in late Feb mine went out at the worst time possible - when we got hit with over 10" of snow in 2 hours.

I solved that problem the following summer.

Hey Justin, those tires look awesome, is that the Firestone Destination or Goodyear MTR? The tread looks really familiar. Has anyone here heard of Treadwright? I just learned about them on Plowsite, they do retreads (and have a pattern available just like Justins, in addition to MT and AT options. They also have an option you can buy that is a mixture of ground glass and walnut shells that is added to the rubber compound before molding the new retread on the tire carcass. Supposed to be awesome for snow and ice, the glass gives you micro-grip, and the walnut shells fall out leaving tiny holes that act like siping. Pretty cool and the prices are way better than a new tire. If you can get past the word "retread", it's probably a heck of a deal. I'm probably going to put a set of the 235/85/16s on my new dually, in a MT pattern that looks just like a BFG MT. Under $80 apiece without the glass and shell treatment. $80 is a good price when you need 6 tires all at once. Here's a link.
http://www.treadwright.com/

I have seriously been considering getting tires from them the next time I'm due. I've done a ton of research on that stuff. Was going to get some for my Jeep this fall, but ended up finding some killer deals on used tire/wheel combos on Craigslist.

For my truck I think I've got one more season on my summer tires and possibly 2 seasons on my winter tires. LT265/75 R16 Load range E get expensive. I do my own rotations and hardly ever get a flat so I don't need those "perks" from the local companies.

I've been thinking about getting a set from them as well, for my 88 in the wintertime. I know that my MTZs aren't the best thing in the ice (they are manageable with proper driving) but the biggest thing is the damned de-icer wrecks quite the havoc on my polished aluminum rims. I'm thinking of either snagging a set of 15" rallys and 33x12.5R15 or getting the same combo I have now in black. Obvisously the prior is cheaper than the latter.

Back