• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Winter fuel mixture

Rodd

Recruit
Reaction score
I just got a grumman step van for work w/ a cummins 4bt. In the owners manual it says that it is okay to add up to 10% regular unleaded gas to thin out the diesel. Is there something similar for the 6.5? I don't live in the mountains but occasionally stay in a cabin in the winter and at times it is in the range of 0 degrees F. Just currious.

In winter, most stations switch from #2 diesel to #1 to address the gelling problem. You can also add some additional anti-gell (some also have cetane booster and lubricity additives). Playing chemist by adding gasoline (which has NO lubricating properties) would NOT be my route. But hey, it's your truck, if you want to try it, don't say you weren't warned ...

The thing to remember here is the Cummins' injection pump is lubricated by engine oil. Our DS-4 and DB-2's are lubricated by the fuel going through them! Our distributor style pump is MUCH more affected by lubricity of the fuel and the stuff you add to it!

in the winter i just double up on the diesel kleen in the white bottle with the anti-gel and i've never had a problem yet. granted Connecticut isn't the coldest place in the world but its not Florida in the winter either.

Agree with Dave. Double up on the additive or use the specialized winter additive for diesel.

For my standard, CT is cold compare to TX. I was there a few years back in January, the temp never goes above 10F during the day. I might be there at the worst winter.

Agree with Dave. Double up on the additive or use the specialized winter additive for diesel.

For my standard, CT is cold compare to TX. I was there a few years back in January, the temp never goes above 10F during the day. I might be there at the worst winter.

sounds about right for CT. its not as cold as up north but its just cold enough to be annoying here.

The thing to remember here is the Cummins' injection pump is lubricated by engine oil. Our DS-4 and DB-2's are lubricated by the fuel going through them! Our distributor style pump is MUCH more affected by lubricity of the fuel and the stuff you add to it!

EXACTLY!!!!!!!! Use power systems of some other comparable, additive. #1 should be good to -25, I've started with straight #1 in -35 with no additive, not with a 6.5 though, the guys around here use battery, fuel, oil, and coolant heaters. Might look into it if its cold enough.

I use the white bottle as well in the winter. I was just currious if GM said the same thing as cummins. It just peaked my curriosity.

thanks guys!

On winter Diesel I have left my truck parked outside for 10+ hrs. at -40 and it still started, but man, could have aroused the whole county...

in the winter i just double up on the diesel kleen in the white bottle with the anti-gel and i've never had a problem yet. granted Connecticut isn't the coldest place in the world but its not Florida in the winter either.
It gets pretty cold here sometimes. I remember a year ago 11pm at night trying to fix a broken watermain and it was so cold we coluldn't keep the backhoe running. We had a genertator with a space heater blowing right on the motor so I could keep digging. It was -15F with windchill.

We had a genertator with a space heater blowing right on the motor so I could keep digging.

aces. thats a very redneck way to keep an engine running. i like it. :sifone:

my dads john deere diesel hates the cold. before i knew anything about diesels and glow plugs it would never start without really extended cranking and loads of white smoke, even with the block heater. my dad said the glow plugs were new, but that doesn't help when they aren't getting any power. fixed the + wire from bat to GP relay and fires right up now. still hates the cold however as it really rattles, hasn't stalled out yet from the cold.

Last edited:
Back