• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Windows XP Pro firewall not coming on

jrsavoie

Recruit
Reaction score
I got 2 messages and didn't find anything on Google search that worked.

I tried some process that finishes with clicking OK 3 times but it didn't work.

1st messag
We're sorry. The Security Center could not turn on Windows Firewall. To try turning on the Firewall yourself, go to Windows Firewall in Control Panel. In the Firewall dialog general tab. select On (recomneded) then OK

I am using Microsoft Security essentials

No progress yet. I've been kind of puny lately and haven't put much effort into it.

I did try this and did not get anywhere. I'm not positive I did it correctly. When it gets to the saving the file as in the 2nd set of instructions, it is missing some of the finer details I need, such as what exactly to do. For me, instructions have to be fool proof.

Thanks for the link. That is the exact message I am getting

Get a real firewall - an external hardware device. Netgear, Linksys, etc.
Hack the operating system, Windows XP, and the software firewall doesn't have anything to stand on - the hacker is in. Software firewalls are WORTHLESS!

You may have Norton, McAfee, or another firewall program that has taken over "firewall" duty and disabled the Windows firewall. Check the add remove programs for antivirus software as McAfee is sneaking on now with drive by downloads - like a virus really.

Viruses can disable the firewall, Housecall from trend micro is a free way to check for that.

Search this forum for threads about securing your hardware firewall as WarWagon and many others highly recommend you install in lieu of software firewalls.

Thanks

I'll try that.

It's not a good idea to not have a firewall up with antenna service especially.

We somehow have gotten on each others computers accidently completely without trying

I called a guy and told him to delete some stuff off his computer, change some settings and get a firewall up and he got mad at me. Another guy got mad at me because my stuff was on his computer. His stuff was on my computer also.

I have to set up a network with this as the only computer on the network. Sometimes updates change your settings & shit happens

Until I installed my first hardware firewall (part of router/switch) many winters ago, I used Zone Alarm: www.zonealarm.com

PM sent. Save yourself the headache, for now and later, and install a hardware firewall. We can walk you through how to set it up.

Back