• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Windows,..corrupt file

You want to get the data off the failing hard drive while it is still working. Don't try and fix the pc - just get the data off. I re-recommend an external hard disk to back stuff up now. Then continue to try and fix the PC. Get the data first while it is still assessable. Then try and fix the PC and if it goes south $400 will buy a new PC. Or get another eBay PC. But most important you will have the docs and pictures you stored on it. A new PC can fail too...

External Hard Drives are around $99.00. Data recovery can be from $100.00 if a local tech gets lucky to $1200.00-$12,000.00 if the head didn't scrape the data off the platters with the rest of the platter coating. I have seen where data recovery wasn't possible at any price.

The error code indicates the hard drive that has your data is quickly failing and the source of your issue. LCD inverter failure is 'so what' if it is working - maybe you missed the 'y/n' prompt. Test again later and if it still fails get another PC vs just a new Hard Drive for it.

There is a fix it tool for CD drives that may help.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

Dell is just looking to do a change of ownership. Plug the 'service tag' into http://support.dell.com click on warranty and see if any warranty remains. If not who cares who 'owns' it in Dell's records. Stolen or not paid for from company X just means no warranty. It could also mean Law Enforcement would like it back to return to the owner. More than likely Dell just has the first owner and running you through the usual wringer of getting all phones numbers addresses etc for parts shipping in the event of warranty claims. But not always.

You have to do a change of ownership to get warranty on Dell's.

You're welcome, glad to help...

Pardon the questions, but:
1. Have you written to disc on the CD drive before?......NO
2. If so, what is the make/model of the CD drive?.......SAMSUNG

If you have successfully written to the CD drive before, it may have gone bad (I've had 3 in the last 8 years, which is quite high... includes 1 on a laptop). Do you have a PC you can "borrow" a simliar CD drive from? You can remove/replace and try again. Make sure the replacement drive was working in the write mode.

Before you start removing/replacing, try the CheckDisk/find-fix errors, then do the registry edit from Microsoft Support again.

I got no other PC i can borrow from.

I ran the CheckDisk but not the registry edit,......C drive is fixed.

CDrom is now recognized and aparently working,..however ,when i try to copy a pic ,a window pops up telling me my brandnew never used CD's are not writable or full.
I have type DVD-R cd's,..exactly what the program says i should use,..either DVD R or DVD RW.
I tried 5 diff ones and get the same result.:???:

If you use DVDRWs, you need to format them first. Then, you can copy files directly into them.

However, because you are using DVDRs, you have to create the .iso image first, then, write the image to disc. My previous post with how to use ImgBurn will walk you through the process. Glad the CDDVD drive is up an running again, though.

Okay, please read the attached .pdf on how to use ImgBurn. Let me know if you need clarification on anything. You will need Adobe Reader or similar .pdf reader to display the document.

If you are using CDRWs or DVRWs, let me know and I will do the same instruction format.
And i thought ImgBurn was easy to use!!,..I find it quite a maze to have to walk trough,...no way i can remember all that stuff beyond 1 min,let alone a week from now.:eek:

And i thought ImgBurn was easy to use!!,..I find it quite a maze to have to walk trough,...no way i can remember all that stuff beyond 1 min,let alone a week from now.:eek:

I keep ooodles of reference and instruction material for the same reasons... I would use ImgBurn heavily for a week or two, then, not use it for six months, so the next time I use it, I would always draw a blank and go back to my cheat-sheets... after a couple of image burns, it comes back, but only for that "project" period of a week or two...

I had the wife pick up some RW cd's,...popped one in the drive and wrote the files without a glitch.:agreed:
Problem solved.:)
Thank ye all for the help.:thumbsup:

Back