• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Windows,..corrupt file

bison

Reaction score
Puter tells me there's a corrupt file in windows,tells me to run puter test

I had that once before about a corrupt file in hughes sat status meter,it went away after i deleted the status meter.

Is my hard drive about to crash or what?

Computers are ALWAYS about to crash. Shortest time I have had a drive that wasn't DOA lasted 1 hour. Make sure your stuff is stored on a DVD or external hard drive.

Does the system still boot up? If so make sure you have a backup of important stuff.

What file is corrupt?

Is it Windows Vista? :eek:

Corrupt files are from bad sectors on a hard drive from the drive being bumped, power failure, normal wear, or pending wear at the near failure point. It also can be from bad memory or bad caps on the motherboard. Power failure during operation can also corrupt files.

So it isn't always a mechanical or electrical problem. Software can also cause problems from badly written stuff to viruses.

Widows XP ,..System still boots up.
Yesterday puter told me i had to restart cause it wouldn't load....all i had was the screen saver photo.

Can a guy save all files to a memory stick?,...cause that's all i have.

You need to buy a little USB portable hard drive, Simon... 500 gigabytes for like $80. Cheap peace of mind.

Your PC has to boot up normally (i.e., BIOS loads first, then WinXP loads device drivers) for the USB ports to be recognized. After boot up, when you insert a USB drive (memory stick or external hard drive), WinXP should recognize the device. Assuming the USB drive does not need a password (e.g., USB Travel Lockers), the USB drive should come up when you open My Computer. You can, then, copy files from the original drive(s) to the USB drive which implies that you will need to know where the files are located on the original drive(s).

Typically, it is user data (personal files and documents, photos, databases, etc.) that should be the priority to be backed up and will be the quickest (if time is of the essence if, for example, the hard drive is about to crap out). The philosphy here is that if the hard drive was toast and had to be replaced, the OS (e.g., WinXP) and applications could be (re)installed from their distribution media onto the new hard drive. Then, the previously backed up user data copied back to the new hard drive.

Another way is to enable your BIOS to be able to boot off a USB drive, then, boot up with the USB drive (has OS kernel installed with other drivers and utilities). Once the PC is running off the USB drive, you can copy files/folders onto whatever available space is left on the USB drive. This can get a little complex depending on what kernel is installed on the bootable USB drive (can be GUI or can be text-based, which means you can use a mouse or may have to use keyboard DOS-like text commands).

Keep us posted and good luck.

Copy & paste will work, right?

As for highlighting files to copy, click one to highlight, hold 'shift' and click another. The ones between the 'clicks' will then highlight.

Hold 'ctrl' to pick and choose individual files.

OK,i figured out how to copy,...now the 8 GB stick is full and i'm just started.

I have a whole stack of new blank CD's but no program to write them,what's the best program to buy on line....will sonic do?,i seem to have a icon on my desktop(was on there from PO)

Don't buy! Instead, download freeware like ImgBurn (latest version 2.5.7.0):

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

and click on one of the mirror sites in the middle of the webpage (Digital Digest, BetaNews, Softpedia, etc... ignore the advertisements for Download Manager, etc.).

It will download an executable "SetupImgBurn_2.5.7.0.exe" 5.8 MB in size (remember where you copy it to) which you double-click on and allow to install itself with minimal, if any, configuration settings (other than language, etc.).

Don't buy! Instead, download freeware like ImgBurn (latest version 2.5.7.0):http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

and click on one of the mirror sites in the middle of the webpage (Digital Digest, BetaNews, Softpedia, etc... ignore the advertisements for Download Manager, etc.).

It will download an executable "SetupImgBurn_2.5.7.0.exe" 5.8 MB in size (remember where you copy it to) which you double-click on and allow to install itself with minimal, if any, configuration settings (other than language, etc.).

I downloaded this program last night,the installation went smooth
When i tried to copy a pic to the disc in D drive, a window poppped up telling me //D is not accessable,..incorrect function//
When i go to the program and select copy an image to the disc and are prompted to get a source like "my pics" and select 'open',..the window stays blank.

I have no idea how to fix it

I downloaded this program last night,the installation went smooth
When i tried to copy a pic to the disc in D drive, a window poppped up telling me //D is not accessable,..incorrect function//
When i go to the program and select copy an image to the disc and are prompted to get a source like "my pics" and select 'open',..the window stays blank.

I have no idea how to fix it

Okay, please read the attached .pdf on how to use ImgBurn. Let me know if you need clarification on anything. You will need Adobe Reader or similar .pdf reader to display the document.

If you are using CDRWs or DVRWs, let me know and I will do the same instruction format.

Attachments

• ImgBurn_CDRs_DVDRs.pdf
    481.7 KB · Views: 4
I have no trouble figuring out how to work with the ImgBurn program,but Somehow the CD driver is not communicating with the puter and/or the program properly.
Anyway that is what the device manager says.
It also shows a yellow triangle with a exclamation mark next to the driver and... "device missing or corrupt file.

Deff something goofy stuff going on?.

Maybe the driver is outdated?

Try clicking on start, then on control panel, administrative tools, computer management, then devise manager. There should be a DVD/CD ROM, click on it and try to update the driver.

From Microsoft Support, if you feel game editing registry entries (not complicated). If completed successfully (i.e., if you find the two entries and delete both), a reboot of the PC should get the device recognized and running again:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

and scroll down to the Win XP section.

I ran diagnostics and found 3 error codes.

Hard drive short test fail..code 0146
LCD inverter test fail..code 0332
CDrom drive...Device missing or corrupt file..code 39

I phoned Dell customer service but Dell won't help me cause i think i'm the third owner and i don't know who the original owner was and they want to know..theft issue i guess.

From Microsoft Support, if you feel game editing registry entries (not complicated). If completed successfully (i.e., if you find the two entries and delete both), a reboot of the PC should get the device recognized and running again:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

and scroll down to the Win XP section.
Hey thanks for the help.
I ran the microsoft fix it support, and it tells me my CD rom drive is not capable of writing to a cd :???:

Your drive may be on its way out but hard to tell how bad it is, even with the right diagnostic tools. Anyhow, I recommend that you run Check Disk/Find-Fix Errors. See attached .pdf.

Attachments

• CheckDisk_FixErrors.pdf
    59 KB · Views: 3
Hey thanks for the help.
I ran the microsoft fix it support, and it tells me my CD rom drive is not capable of writing to a cd :???:

You're welcome, glad to help...

Pardon the questions, but:
1. Have you written to disc on the CD drive before?
2. If so, what is the make/model of the CD drive?

If you have successfully written to the CD drive before, it may have gone bad (I've had 3 in the last 8 years, which is quite high... includes 1 on a laptop). Do you have a PC you can "borrow" a simliar CD drive from? You can remove/replace and try again. Make sure the replacement drive was working in the write mode.

Before you start removing/replacing, try the CheckDisk/find-fix errors, then do the registry edit from Microsoft Support again.

Back