• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Window Woes

Matt Bachand

Depends on the 6.5
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Living here in the NE, I have terrible salt/rust problem.

Seems the salt gets trapped inside the door panel, and the inside of mine isn't looking too good.

I have no power, just handcrank window.

Problem is, whatever the 2nd scissor attachment to the window must have let go or rotted off, so the window wants to fall foward, and I have to lift it and crank the window at same time.

it also feels like its out of its side tracks, its binding.

So-

I've never had good luck with the inside of doors because of the lack of view.

Anyone have any pictures of the inside of a door panel, and know how the window is held on?

Basically I need the procedure on how to replace the glass, even though mines not broken.

I have to go in there soon anyhow as I just got a set of Kodiak Handles from PMDCABLE.COM, and can't wait to install those.

I'm scared that I will soon need to replace these doors, and they aren't going to be cheap.

Thanks!

PS, also need the factory wire color for the tail/marker lights on the bed.

Thanks!

It's very common that the track on the glass rots out. I've had several do it. You can't buy just that track from GM. My local junkyard found someone to make replacement tracks and they glued them on. For you it would be easiest to just replace the glass and track.
You remove the plastic interior door panels and door latch with the window rolled down. Then you remove the dozen or so bolts that hold the black inner door panel that has the window mechanism in it.There is 2 larger bolts that hold the front track that need to be removed also You will have to wiggle and jiggle some to get the whole thing out but it will come out. There may be some stop tabs on the track that need to be bent down for the rollers to come out of it. Grease the piss out of all the tracks and rollers before reassembly. The biggest reason for the track rotting out is bad exterior rubber weather strips on the glass allowing the salt to get in.
Sorry, no pics of a door all apart[yet].

It's very common that the track on the glass rots out. I've had several do it. You can't buy just that track from GM. My local junkyard found someone to make replacement tracks and they glued them on. For you it would be easiest to just replace the glass and track.
You remove the plastic interior door panels and door latch with the window rolled down. Then you remove the dozen or so bolts that hold the black inner door panel that has the window mechanism in it.There is 2 larger bolts that hold the front track that need to be removed also You will have to wiggle and jiggle some to get the whole thing out but it will come out. There may be some stop tabs on the track that need to be bent down for the rollers to come out of it. Grease the piss out of all the tracks and rollers before reassembly. The biggest reason for the track rotting out is bad exterior rubber weather strips on the glass allowing the salt to get in.
Sorry, no pics of a door all apart[yet].

I've tried to get that inner panel out before and the bolts are rusted.... I've since covered it with ProtectoWrap... lol... what a nightmare.

I'm going to have to find myself some used doors................:(

Found some from Alabama would be 500 shipped for both doors..............................

Then I'd have to deal with mirrors.........................Rather go GMT-800 style than west coast..........................

Then have the truck painted RED.

And doors re-lettered....

So it'll end up being well over a grand.............. DAMN RUST.

I just want my window to up and down... thats all.

For a little more than the used doors you could get new aftermarket doors and have them painted to match. Leroy will be getting the new style mirrors soon.

I buggered up the side of my bed last week and it is gonna cost 1500 just for the bed side replacement :nonod: so now I am on the look out for an emerald green short bed lol.

If it isn't faded out the same no biggie. This winter the body is getting over hauled on the truck. New rockers, repaint, cowl hood, bed liner on the rockers and inside the bed, POR15 on the whole frame should come to about $4000 at the local shop unless I can find cheaper. The trucks paid off and will be my company field scouting truck so I can't be looking like a bum when working with customers.

Yes I feel its worth the trouble to keep a truck I like and have figured out on the road instead of pay 4K on another one and work out all of its kinks.

Back