• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Will optimizer 6500 heads fit on a 6.2L diesel?

Will optimizer heads fit on a 6.2 diesel

• N/A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • N/A

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I only stock 6.5 standard bore, but i can machine any set someone sends me. I have 18.5 & 18.0 with valve reliefs in stock, 880.00 shipped, they have my 3 side coatings as well.

I would love to see that.
That farm dude that tests small engine stuff and all did plexiglass head on one and it held a little while.

Imo (Worth a corndog if the stick breaks)
You can see on the original carbon burn marks on the edges of the mickey mouse ears of the piston. On Chisā€™ piston you can see it tapers off. Looks to me like it allows the flame front to blend across the piston better than the factory without loosing the inrush and outflow of gases through the precup directional channeling.

I went from 21.5:1 to 18.5:1 flat cut pistons many many years ago and HATED it. I blamed all the performance loss on compression loss until we swapped them out for some 18.5:1 that had the top made normal. It was the gm engineers that showed me that back in the 90ā€™s. They said the mickey mouse ears were to spread the flame front out to the sides instead of across the top to the other side. The extra channeling in Chrisā€™ piston will just give it more low area to flow out in and the high sone still in the center keeps it from going across.

If you look at the precup of flat cut pistons youā€™ll see carbon wash on them too. That stupid little divit is so crucial to get air flowing in and out of the precup. Itā€™s like holding a water bottle the right way under the sink instead of dumping water from a bucket onto the bottle. Itā€™s like a funnel.

And that will both lighten your wallet and weaken the cylinders. Part of the 6.2's stoutness is its cylinder wall thickness compared to the 6.5.

Yeah, but the internal cast knob that ate half the blame for cylinders 7&8 isnā€™t in the 6.2. So the 6.2 bored actually fairs better than many of the 6.5 blocks. Build the cooling system (radiator, pump, etc) to properly reject the heat and you have no issues. Dojng things like coated pistons, coatings heads while off,etc. on top of that turn it from a fixed system to an excellent one doing better than di diesels.

I would definitely push the optimizer more- (obviously since thats what I bought) but dont think a cut 6.2 is worse than a gm 6.5 block. Endless gobbs of money and a p400 is the answer. Next down the line would be the optimizer with TSP pistons and TSP ported/coated p400 heads. Then next down is having him do some optimizer heads. Then down the line farther is what I actually afford - porting my own optimizer heads with TSP 18:1 pistons, gapless rings, and his coating on multiple other parts like cam, earings etc- and since I can only afford cko 35/40 hybrid turbo- thats where I have to go. My home made heat sheild will be out of some 3/4ā€ or 1ā€ plate to redirect any shrapnel away from people in the rig.

Back