• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Will dealer check my ecm bofore replacing head gaskets?

Kinda what I figured....even though I have a pretty good dealer it's probably out of their hands.

I thought I'd ask on here too cause I didn't get much of a response on the other site.

Someone mentioned that they can/do check the last 11 tunes...is that true?

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Pretty sure that memory feature in the ECM is only on LMMs. That is they might be able to tell if it's currently tuned, but not the last 11.

I *think* and there is a distinct possiblity that I am wrong, but the dealer's ability to check CVN numbers began with the 06's. The 07.5+ trucks track and store the last 10 for sure, but IIRC the 06-07's will only give the CVN's of what is currently loaded for them to compare to what the GM database says the last calibrations should be. At least this is what I have read in the past.

i doubt it. unless they have a failure that can be caused from over power they wont. unless they are looking to lose business. plus 98% of techs dont know what to look for.

They still may claim a "power adder" was in place at the time of a failure, after looking at head burn patterns, and piston top burn marks. There willbe a star pattern that they look for on a "tuned" motor, although, it's my understanding, the same pattern is visible on a stock motor.

According to Mikel (tech on Diablo forums) he says they can't see the Predator tune. They can see that it was programmed but not what program it is. So for all they know it could be a stock reflash. What do you guys think of this? Shouldn't they still be able to read the parameters/engine settings?

trust me when i say a 500hp tune and a stock tune look identical once torn apart. we just did 2 with solid 500 tunes in them and if i did not know the guys i would have not know. it is all in the tuning:thumbsup:.

I *think* and there is a distinct possiblity that I am wrong, but the dealer's ability to check CVN numbers began with the 06's. The 07.5+ trucks track and store the last 10 for sure, but IIRC the 06-07's will only give the CVN's of what is currently loaded for them to compare to what the GM database says the last calibrations should be. At least this is what I have read in the past.

I think this is an accurate statement. If the techs actually knew what they were doing with a tech 2, there are steps to follow to be able to see the last 10 reflashes. Unless I miss something, why do you ask? Whats wrong with your motor?

I think this is an accurate statement. If the techs actually knew what they were doing with a tech 2, there are steps to follow to be able to see the last 10 reflashes. Unless I miss something, why do you ask? Whats wrong with your motor?

Most likely blown headgasket(s). :sad:

Back