• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Will a 1993 Turbo work on 1996

Hydrauk

Hydrauk
Reaction score
Hello to all!
I have a friend that has a Turbo from a 1993 3500 GMC 6.5. It is mechanical Waste Gate. I have a GM8 and he has A GM3. Okay...so the question at hand is.....Can I use the ENTIRE set up in my 1997 3500 GMC? The difference is, His entire unit is Mechanical Waste Gate and Mine is Vac operated Waste Gate. Can't I just swap it out and have no worries? Not looking for high performance here, just a working Turbo.

My current Turbo is shot, and possibly beyond a rebuild. I can get a great deal here if this swap is possible. Thanks in advance for your time!!! Cheers!

David D>

Last edited:
If they look the same you could probably use your wastegate control on it. You could use the mech wastegate I would think(although have never used the factory one) but you'll need a boost gauge I would think and have o keep the boost below7-8psi IIRC with stock tune. Just guessing really.

If they look the same you could probably use your wastegate control on it. You could use the mech wastegate I would think(although have never used the factory one) but you'll need a boost gauge I would think and have o keep the boost below7-8psi IIRC with stock tune. Just guessing really.

Yeah, I could look if it is the same in the morning. From what I have seen it is possible to use a Mechanical waste Gate system. I wonder if this would be better, and if I could somehow by-pass the electrical connection at the Vac operated solenoid. Thanks for your response!! Cheers!

David

Whoa, David... are you SURE you have a GM-3 in that '97? GM3's didn't come with vacuum wastegates (or in '97s, for that matter), so the only way you have a GM-3 is if somebody changed out the GM-8 and put a -3 in there on purpose.

Can you trade 'em? Yes, but the mechanical wastegate on the GM-3 is pretty much useless, compared to a turbomaster or even a vacuum wastegate control... you need to modify that puppy to get any decent boost out of it.

Why not just unbolt the vacuum wastegate assembly and put it on your buddy's GM-3 turbo?

Whoa, David... are you SURE you have a GM-3 in that '97? GM3's didn't come with vacuum wastegates (or in '97s, for that matter), so the only way you have a GM-3 is if somebody changed out the GM-8 and put a -3 in there on purpose.

Can you trade 'em? Yes, but the mechanical wastegate on the GM-3 is pretty much useless, compared to a turbomaster or even a vacuum wastegate control... you need to modify that puppy to get any decent boost out of it.

Why not just unbolt the vacuum wastegate assembly and put it on your buddy's GM-3 turbo?

Hello JiFaire!!
Ah-Ha...I do indeed have a GM8...It looked like a 3 stamped on it. Ok thats great about knowing the swap will work out. I could easily swap out the waste gate control, and I will if I get the Turbo. Not sure if it's worth it yet. If I can get this Turbo for next to nothing. Thank you for the input!!!

What is the DIFFERENCE between all the Turbo's anyway. Like a GM3 as compared to a GM8...or whatever number you may have?

Cheers!
David

There are a couple of differences between the GM-3 and the GM-8, the -3 has the spring wastegate from the factory kinda like the turbomaster but not adjustable while the -8 is a vacumn operated setup. The -8 is more effecient as well as the -3 has a more restrictive elbow and thus raises the IAT more for a given amount of boost. It will bolt up and work, but you should either fab an adjustable waste-gate controller or get a turbomaster IMO. With the controller on the -3 being horizontal and the -8 vertical it would take some fab work to apply the vacumn setup to the -3. A couple of years ago i got a great deal on a -8, so i replaced the -3 on my '93 with the -8 so i'm familiar with the differences. When i made the change i fabbed up an adjustable controller and set it with my boost gauge to max out at 10psi. :smile5: The -8 made an improvement on my truck, more boost quicker mainly. I'm sure an ATT would work 100% better than either the -3 or -8.
Don

Hello to all,

Ok so I went to Auto scrap yard, and got the Turbo out of the 1993, it was in good condition, and WAY better than mine. The Turbo in my truck, impeller shaft bearings where shot, and the Turbo impeller had a real bad Wobble.

Getting the Trubo out of this truck went real easy. I took the entire unit right off the Exhaust manifold. All done with wrenches and sockets. Hell while in there I grabbed almost all associated parts, Nuts, Bolts, Tubes..etc.

Getting the Turbo out of My truck was a pain in the ass!!! Thankfully I had Oxy/Acyl torch and an Impact. The nuts on the Turbo mount where fully rusted and frozen on solid!! So with ALOT of heat, and the impact action, I got em off...Tossed them into the woods!! ARRGGHH.

The Turbo installed without problems. Installed a new oil return tube gasket. The Turbo to exhaust manifold has no gasket. It's metal to metal. Odd I thought. All went well. Clean Install.

Ok..here are some questions:

A. The turbo i put on has mechanical wate gate control, It does have an adjustment spring. Anyone tell me how it works? Tighten it , means more or less boost?

B. Seeing my other Turbo had a Vacuum actuator, I plugged it off for now. Am I doing any harm to Fuel Control or ECU?

C. There is no question I noticed a difference, in acceleration, But I cannot hear it Whistle. Is there anyway i could get my present install to Sing for me a little louder?? If so..How. Any Pictures of basic mods?

In my Dodge Cummins..the Turbo whistles like a train!!

Please fill me in with any information. Iam learning alot from you guys/gals out there.

Cheers!!
David

Until you open up your exhaust and R/R your turbo muffler (if you have one), you won't hear much whistle. Some folks will tell you to get a different air intake, but I wouldn't recommend it, as the stock GM canister setup is more efficient in your truck than what you can add - and does not draw in hot underhood air.

Matter of fact, you won't hear a lot of whistle with a GM3 even if you DO those things...

... good thing the cool whistle sound doesn't make you go any faster, eh?

Hydrauk, do yourself a huge favor and get lost for hours on end up in the stickies at the top of the forum. There are a ton of Techinal data and posts, you will know more about your 6.5 than a GM mechanic when you're done reading it all. (No lie).

Until you open up your exhaust and R/R your turbo muffler (if you have one), you won't hear much whistle. Some folks will tell you to get a different air intake, but I wouldn't recommend it, as the stock GM canister setup is more efficient in your truck than what you can add - and does not draw in hot underhood air.

Matter of fact, you won't hear a lot of whistle with a GM3 even if you DO those things...

... good thing the cool whistle sound doesn't make you go any faster, eh?

Hello
Thanks for the information! I will stay with the stock Intake system on this truck. I would like to keep it as close to stock as possible. I will look into removing the Muffler though.

Yeah..I was just wondering about the Turbo whistle, Iam not too concerned, It just makes me feel better at least hearing it a little bit. It aint gonna make my truck faster..just want to hear the sucker working.

Any Ideas about the spring settings on this Turbo?

Cheers!
David

Hydrauk, do yourself a huge favor and get lost for hours on end up in the stickies at the top of the forum. There are a ton of Techinal data and posts, you will know more about your 6.5 than a GM mechanic when you're done reading it all. (No lie).

Matt...Hello! Iam not to sure how to navigate here still. But I sure will take your advice when I learn this site better. Maybe sit back one night, get some beers, and start reading.:thumbsup:

I will have my turbo up for sale here soon, if you want a GM-3. It has the factory version of the turbo master on it. I will post a for sale ad for it when I get back to Texas, in December. I am not sure what I want for it or what it is worth.

I will have my turbo up for sale here soon, if you want a GM-3. It has the factory version of the turbo master on it. I will post a for sale ad for it when I get back to Texas, in December. I am not sure what I want for it or what it is worth.

Hello and Thank you. We will talk then. I will be heading back down to Houston, in a couple of weeks.

David

Back