• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

wierd starting issue

red

Being a lake bum in Texas
Reaction score
well the 84 k30 i picked up i've got the newer 454 swapped into it and hooked up. i've fired it up a few times, still need to tweek the timing but otherwise runs great, loud as hell with the exhaust on but i think the muffler is gutted lol. getting it fired up has been a chore though, its killed 3 starters so far :icon_bs: . 1st one was my fault for not installing a shim and it tore the nose of the starter off :mad2: , the other 2 though when i would go to try and start the truck i could hear the starter motor spinning but the gear would not shoot out to engage the flywheel. thinking maybe its not getting enough power through the ground, gonna try running a direct wire from the battery to the starter tomorrow to see if that fixes the issue. any other ideas?

Dont get remaned starters. Just went thru this on wifes Jimmy and it was bad outta the box. Buy NEW ones. Sounds like solenoid is bad.

found out what it was (finally). had a few spots on the flexplate where the teeth were worn down, starter would get in a bind on those spots and snap the nose cone (6 dead starters now haha, gotta love warranty replacements). i installed the new flexplate today, installing a new starter tomorrow. HOPEFULLY this takes care of the issue, only thing keeping this from being my daily driver. also getting 35x14.5" pitbull tires next weekend, truck is mostly for offroad so the tires are excellent for that, bias ply and soft rubber so they wont wear well on the highway. might get a set of smaller tires for street driving if i end up having to drive on the highway a fair amount.

Back