• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Why the wandering front end?

Jorge6.5

Reaction score
The other day I test drove a '94 chevy light duty k2500. It has been lifted, all new ball joints and tie rod ends. The tires are 33" tall and pretty much shot. I was told it needs a front end alignment.

The problem is while driving down the road, the front end likes to wander left to right and right to left all on its own. There doesn't seem to be much play in the steering.

Not sure what could be causing this. Is it major? Or a simple fix of just an alignment. Just wanted to be sure of what is going on with the front end before I buy it.

Thanks guys.

On my truck a combination of bad upper and lower ball joints on both sides along with steering shaft and gear box lose made my truck wander bad.

I have since fixed the ball joints and it is 100% better! :thumbsup:

This truck already has new ball joints. I'm hoping new tires and front end alignment will help.

Any suggestions are welcome thanks.

New Pitman and Idle Arms, then tighten the steering box. That's what restored mine to virgin tight.

Here's the how to write-up:

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...justing-a-steering-box&highlight=steering+box

The steering box job is like 2 hours max out adjust and in. You're removing the Pitman Arm from the box, so you should be replacing that in the process. Then also replace the Idler Arm. Use Moog parts. There are tricks to getting the box out if you're doing it solo. I used a floor jack. Do a search for my threads. I did this in the last year or so. Major improvement.

Good tires all by themselves can go a long way to making the feel better. Alignment is a no brainer and a must with new tires IMO. The rest is cumulative slop. And if there is sloppy joints an alignment is only good til the first big bump. Bigger contributors being pitman arm and idler. One bad joint will cause all other little slop to feel worse but again its cumulative.

Pitman and idler are what cause most of my slack. My 300k mile gearbox and shaft have a little slop even after adjustment. I've also been told my control arm bushings are worn.

Source Unknown

Before you go off buying a bunch of parts have the alignment checked. On a lifted front suspension the first thing that happens to cause wandering is the caster being thrown to 0 or negative.

Air the tires up another 5-10 lbs in the front. The rag joint on the steering shaft can wear out.
Figure $800 in parts to rebuild the front end. Do you really believe the seller with worn out tires that the front end was done? :rof: You can have a friend rock the steering wheel while you watch for loose/worn out front end parts.

I can clearly see the new upper and lower ball joints. I also saw new tie rod ends all installed. The idler arm or pitman arm has been replaced but not sure which one. I figured it needs at least an alignment. That's what I would do first. If I buy the truck I'll have my mechanic make sure all is well.

Thanks for the suggestions guys

As previously posted, it's a compounding thing. Every little bit of slop compounds on the other. Bushings affect tire wear. Pitman and idler affect steering. Loose and worn steering box, enough said. If the truck is lifted, that's a whole other issue I'm not even qualified to post on.

Back