• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Who Want's To Get REALLY Creative With LED's??

Mad Maxx

See, what had happened was...
Reaction score
Check out the stuff on this site: http://www.oznium.com/

They got a buttload of awesome stuff. And look at the "action shot" tabs to see how bright these things really are.

I already got some tricks up my sleeve with the Flexible Waterproof stuff & the Waterproof Singles ;) :)

I like LED's. Especially blue ones. Its such a mellow color. I think underbody kits though look kinda rice to me though. I wouldnt mind some amber strips along my running boards at some point.

One idea I got is to get a length of the Amber or White Waterproof Flexible stuff, and run it the whole width of the Front Bumper. There is a small lip on the bottom to attach it to.

Will be soon. Fogs & Low's.

I got those 60 SMT DRL's I told you about. They came in, but my truck is still getting the Stereo Built, so I can't get them in there yet.

I wanna see them when you get them in. Do one at a time if you could so we can see the difference between the halogen and LED.

You see my other pics of LED DRL's?

Yea, I saw the ones you just posted, I saw them over on DP too. They do look good, but like you said, just not bright enough.

I have a feeling these SMT's are gonna get the job done. I mean hell, 60 of them in there? And SMT's are really bright to begin with.

...and after I do my little mod. to them to get both "coils" to light (the 27w & 8w), giving me 35w of output vs just 27w without the mod. it'll be good. :)

I was talkin about recently, tryin to get the turn signal to act as either a second running light, or get the DRL to work as a parking light.

Basically, if you can get the DRL to act as a parking light and it to also work as a turn signal, I think it'd be cool I'm assuming it'd be jumping wires but which ones I dont know. And I think a relay needs to go in there too.

I did that exact thing on a kid's 99 1500. I took out his DRL socket, went and got a 3157 socket, tied it in with the Parking / Turn wiring and the 3157 socket fit perfect in the DRL spot. Basically I got rid of his DRL and have him dual running / turn signals, like you want.

BUT...when I first got my truck, I went out, and bought the same sockets and tried to do it, but a 3157 socket won't fit in the DRL spot on our trucks. GM has their own socket they use, so the 3 tabs on it are different than all the 3157 sockets out there. :(

I'm sure if I wasn't so pissed off, I coulda did some trimming on the socket and got it to fit good. I'm gonna give it another go though, when I get the truck back.

Why cant you just jump the wires together? Wouldnt that make the DRL think that its now a running light when parking lights are on? And shouldnt it get the DRL to act as a second turn signal too?

Why cant you just jump the wires together? Wouldnt that make the DRL think that its now a running light when parking lights are on? And shouldnt it get the DRL to act as a second turn signal too?

Yes. This is how the 07.5+ are done; two bulbs, wired in paralell.

I like LED's. Especially blue ones. Its such a mellow color. I think underbody kits though look kinda rice to me though. I wouldnt mind some amber strips along my running boards at some point.

If you like blue, check out my road king... (shitty ellphone camera pictures, but you get the idea)

LEDs off

glowoff1.jpg

and LEDs on

glowon1.jpg

It sparkles like a jewel at night.

Tim

IIRC, there are only 2 wires on the DRL socket. 1 is Ground, so then that gives you the option of having dual Running lights OR Dual Turn Signals, can't have both.

Mad Maxx is correct.

You could technically do it if you were able to use a 3157 socket that had separate + feeds for both filaments in the bulb. They would work just like your parking lights and the turn signal would turn on the larger filament in the 3157 bulbs.

Since the DRL only has one + connection that is set to turn on both filaments at the same time, I don't see how it could be done with the current set up.

Edit- let me think about this for a while...

Last edited:
Check out the stuff on this site: http://www.oznium.com/

They got a buttload of awesome stuff. And look at the "action shot" tabs to see how bright these things really are.

I already got some tricks up my sleeve with the Flexible Waterproof stuff & the Waterproof Singles ;) :)

Not the biggest fan of the underbody kits, like Nick said, a little ricer for me. But the other stuff is pretty cool. I've done stuff on the power side for the truck, next will be the trans and tie rods, but I think I might have to squeeze in some lighting up grades soon too. And I think LED's will be the way. Just something about being on a site with you Nick that gets you hooked on lights.

I have half of what I need for my light upgrade that I wanted when I got the truck. I have a set of Moroso switches for the 130db air horn that I have, but am looking for a simple light bar (kinda like the one that is on the SFA Silverado on the cover of Diesel Power) and I want 4 150 watt off road lights to sit on it.

If you like blue, check out my road king... (shitty ellphone camera pictures, but you get the idea)

LEDs off

glowoff1.jpg

and LEDs on

glowon1.jpg

It sparkles like a jewel at night.

Tim
That would look awesome inside the 4 wheel wells lighting up some Terra Grappler's on a Lifted Rig after the sun went down, on those high rib grabbers;)

That would look awesome inside the 4 wheel wells lighting up some Terra Grappler's on a Lifted Rig after the sun went down, on those high rib grabbers;)

You can light up inside the wheel pretty easily, too.

Look at my front wheel. I got a 3 led pod on the inside of the calipers on each side. So far 1+ years and 12000 miles without an issue, other than an overzealous rookie LEO with a missunderstading of MO state laws.

Tim

You can light up inside the wheel pretty easily, too.

Look at my front wheel. I got a 3 led pod on the inside of the calipers on each side. So far 1+ years and 12000 miles without an issue, other than an overzealous rookie LEO with a missunderstading of MO state laws.

Tim

That's a real nice looking bike Tim.

Back