• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

White smoke out of one side?

DEERE3594

I welcome everyone...not just Penguins!
Reaction score
1994 Grumman 6.2 350k
VERY hard starting, all but one glow plug work so I don't think that's it, but you have to crank and crank to get it to run, then it runs rough until it warms up, but it has true dual exhaust and I get white smoke, a ton, but only out of one side. I fogged out the gas station filling it with fuel. It isn't constant though, its one second white, then clear then white, ect.. If that makes sense. Bad injector? Fuel filter has about 6k on it. Motor doesn't sound to me like it will last long. Worst one in our fleet.

I'd guess injector but smell the smoke if it smells sweet then could be headgasket

x2. white is usually coolant. These engines are secptable to all the same things the 6.5 is. Cracked heads, headgaskets etc. No real block problems that I'm aware of but if they have been that badly abused anything is possible. Start with basics. See if coolant is low or if it is using. If not then you couldswap an injector from pass side to drivers side(easy to do on a 6.2) and then keep moving the inj down the line.

To give you an example, My blazer starts fine with injectors that leakdown like crazy. It just smokes like hell and misfires like mad until all that fuel in the cylinders fuel is gone then it fires on all 8.

Even if one glowplug is out that cylinder will smoke like crazy until it gets up to temperature since it has no assistance from the glowplug. That could explain the white clear white clear that your getting.

Does the smoke ever clear up? If not i'd look to a compression test.

Could also be an IP problem. It could be worn out. The original IP on my blazer would cause smoke at all times from both banks. Engine temp didn't matter. It was never a "set" amount of smoke either. Sometimes one bank would have more smoke than the other, sometimes i'd get no smoke at all. It didn't idle right at all though. Very lumpy idle.

How's it run save for the smoke? Loads of blowby?

I'd comp check it first. No sense messing with anything else if the comp is way down on a few holes.

If the engine is taking on coolant in a cylinder it will overheat like crazy and blow coolant out the overflow.

If this is not the case then your injectors are just plain worn out.

If the pop pressure is low the squirters just PEEEEEEEEEE a sloppy stream and this makes it real tough for the stuff to burn.

White is totally unburned fuel and Blue is poorly burned fuel.

If yout dont have cooling system issues then yank the injectors out and have them tested and or rebuilt.

The pop pressure needs to be up to around 1800 PSI or maybe a tad more.

Spray pattern should be a nice full circle "CONE" of mist when the injector fires off. (POPS)

Once these things get 100K or more the injectors tend to head south and from there it's all downhill.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Missy

if you have a bad glow plug I would check the injector on that cylinder, its possible that a bad injector killed the glow plug and a dead cylinder from a bad injector would do what you are describing.

if you have a bad glow plug I would check the injector on that cylinder, its possible that a bad injector killed the glow plug and a dead cylinder from a bad injector would do what you are describing.

I Do have one bad on that side, if I brake the line at the injector with it running and let it leak, would the smoke clear up to trouble shot that injector?

Back