• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Whistling (Dixie?)

smokymtn65

Reaction score
Ok, taking guessing because I have not have a chance to isolate and find it. I think it is the alternator but about midway through our trip out west 4000+ miles we started getting a loud whistle sound. Like a loud turbo but on drivers side. Voltage is good and it comes and goes. We got home life had more important things, only drive occasionally so swapped alternator with another I have, (both(AZ rebuilds) lol I don't want to hear it! LOL Still has the whistle.. hmm both bad? My guess logic tell me the PS pump will whine not whistle.. Thoughts? I may know soon, sent my son to AZ to have the take off tested,

Pull belt and spin all pulleys. Vac Pump? Vac leak? Check to see if the rear bearing of the alt is grinding on the rear support bracket - aka is the paint gone there?

If it's the alternator check batteries and IMO AZ alts Fing SUCK! They are NOT rebuilt just "patched", maybe. I let the smoke out of one AZ POS unit when the rear bearing failed. Determined the smoke was NOT outside and set the rear ABS off coming to a stop reaching for the fire extinguisher. It was smoking that bad! :eek: I don't shop AZ anymore for this and several other reasons some related to exciting complete failures of their below bottom of the barrel no-quality cheap parts. Cheap is the only market AZ is after. Can't trust their krap on a 550 mile daily trip let alone a 4000 mile trip as several other alts failed while delivering parts to them. Nevermind bad out of the box spares I used to carry.

100_3065.jpg

@Big T Thanks, is it constant or intermittent?
It would be constant. Easy to check. Simply grab pulley and see if there is play. Or remove belt and spin the pulley looking for play. The play will be obvious. Upon complete failure, you will lose the belt, AC power, power steering, etc. You will overheat quickly. No fun when on a steep mountain grade.

@WarWagon I knew it was coming from you!! LOL i bought the lift time before i ever joined first forum they are still replacing and as you can tell i have spares! I think they have replaced this one about 7 times. If these weren't so easy to change and I am not normally so far from home... BTW AZ couldn't make it whistle but the bearing was a bit "gravelly" And the guy working is a pretty good friend so I don't insult him. He takes pretty good care of me.

Back