• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

whinning noise

GRLSDMAX

Reaction score
Well the past couple days my truck has developed a whinning noise. It sounds identical to a power steering pump whine. I checked the fluid and it was a little low so I topped it off. It still does it though. Powersteering is working great. It really only whines when I accelerate. I can't really hear it cruising at like 50mph but if I floor it and the engine revs hard I can hear it and from a dead stop the more gas I give it the louder it will whine.. im gonna take the belt off soon and see if it is still whinning to tell me if its the power steering pump..any other ideas of what it could be?

Alternator - especially if it whines when you accelerate. If it was/is the power steering the whine would change tone when you turn the wheels back and forth due to increased load on the pump.

Check your voltage gauge, see if it has gone down or if it fluctuates when you drive...

you dont have the 4wd in do you. I know its obvious but some people forget.

otherwise I would check the alternator too.

that too. we had one explode on our 02. literally explode, there wasnt much of anything left. tore the belt to nothing too. Quite the mess and guess who got to clean it up. Me.

haha hate hearing that durallymax! well my b/f started narrowing it down today. When he took the belt off he said the tensioner was nice and really tight. He doesn't think its that. He said that the whine sounds identical to a PS pump whine. The truck will barely do it idling in park but any time you hit the throttle in park or driving it gets louder. It doesn't change tone when you turn the wheel, thats what confuses him he said. The volt gauge in the truck is running normal and doesn't fluctuate at all.. Any ideas??? Oh btw whenever he took the belt off and cranked the truck up it didn't whine at all.

basically what everyone said here. Alternator could be going bad, or maybe a serpetine belt could be worn out.

I think there are 2 fixed idler pulleys besides the spring loaded tensioner. I would check those to make sure they spin free and are tight. I had one go out on mine a couple years ago. All that was left was the bolt and the center part of the bearing around it.

^^ same thing happened to mine.

IIRC the idlers are in line with each other.

haha hate hearing that durallymax! well my b/f started narrowing it down today. When he took the belt off he said the tensioner was nice and really tight. He doesn't think its that. He said that the whine sounds identical to a PS pump whine. The truck will barely do it idling in park but any time you hit the throttle in park or driving it gets louder. It doesn't change tone when you turn the wheel, thats what confuses him he said. The volt gauge in the truck is running normal and doesn't fluctuate at all.. Any ideas??? Oh btw whenever he took the belt off and cranked the truck up it didn't whine at all.

when you turn the steering wheel, does the whine go away? or does it do it all the time? it could be the ps pump now that i think of it. it sounds like it isn't the idler pulley since the bolts/screws are nice and snug. check the belts tension and see if the play is good enough, it has been a while since i have changed serpentine belts but a tolerance is given for the amount of play it is supposed to have. i would bet bottom dollar thought that you ps pump could be the culprit though.

The good thing is that if whatever it is freezes up and takes out the belt, you can drive till the batteries go dead You just have to push real hard on the brake pedal and crank hard on the steering wheel. The water pump doesn't run off the belt so you don't have to worry about overheating.

There was a whine coming from my truck once. I just told my daughter "Look, I don't want to hear it right now." and it stopped.

^^^haha

you can drive without the belkt but it makes a mess. My dad towed a load of waste corn from 20 miles away.

He made it barely but Man did it leave me with a mess to clean up. There was rubber caked on every pully that I had to scrape off and the belt was wound up in such a big maze I cut it in a million pieces.

With the truck idling in park turn on and off some accesories (headlights, a/c etc.) the voltage draw from those should change the pitch of the whine if its the alternator....

^^^haha

you can drive without the belkt but it makes a mess. My dad towed a load of waste corn from 20 miles away.

He made it barely but Man did it leave me with a mess to clean up. There was rubber caked on every pully that I had to scrape off and the belt was wound up in such a big maze I cut it in a million pieces.
Mine just jumped off. I think it was around a couple fan blades but it wasn't that hard to get off. Did you notice the package for the replacement said "Made in Japan" on it? I guess that is why they are junk.:D

With the truck idling in park turn on and off some accesories (headlights, a/c etc.) the voltage draw from those should change the pitch of the whine if its the alternator....
There's another thing it could be. It shouldn't be that hard to narrow down, if it stops with the belt off it either has to be something driven by the belt, something the belt rides on, or the belt.

OK this might sound crazy but do you have a CB radio, when i put mine in i got some feedback from the alternator. sounded just like a power steering pump going bad.

There was a whine coming from my truck once. I just told my daughter "Look, I don't want to hear it right now." and it stopped.

:pound::bounce::pound::bounce::pound::bounce:

And here I was gonna add something about my mother-in-law... but this is much better...

when you turn the steering wheel, does the whine go away? or does it do it all the time? it could be the ps pump now that i think of it. it sounds like it isn't the idler pulley since the bolts/screws are nice and snug. check the belts tension and see if the play is good enough, it has been a while since i have changed serpentine belts but a tolerance is given for the amount of play it is supposed to have. i would bet bottom dollar thought that you ps pump could be the culprit though.

when you turn the wheel the whine is the same..

Back