• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Which blade?

woodchuck2

Reaction score
A friend of mine and i are looking into starting a joint venture together as well as running our own seperate businesses. We are looking into a very large housing developement to caretake. It is acually four developements but the plowing and sanding come together as one. We both have 2 GM trucks all with Fisher plows. Both of my 2500HD's have 8' straight blades and his two 1500's have 7.5' straight blades. I am looking into the Extreme-V for one of mine and he is looking into putting a XLS series Fisher on his dads 2500HD so we will have 5 trucks total. He is dead set on the XLS and he is trying to talk me into the same model. Does anyone on here have any experience with this type of blade. From the video on you tube it works very well, it is only 31lbs lighter than the V-blade, it uses the same wire harness as the V-blade and is 6" wider when straight out. But i also like the option of the V-blade for pushing through virgin snow if need be. Here is the link for the XLS blade http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk-oSBOcVfk

I am Blizzard form day one, this is a "copy", the big thing they changed is the cutting edges. Spend the $$ and get a set of polar edges right away, they make a 100% improvement in the plow. The amount of snow the plow moves is unreal, if a straight blade takes 2 hrs in the lot, a vee takes 1.5 and the wing plow is down to an hour in most lots. What kind of $$ are they asking for the plow?

I beleive my friend said it was $5600 but he doesnt need the frame mounts so that should save him some coin. Hmmm, maybe i will have to look into this blade a little further. Since the electronics are the same i could always buy just a V-blade down the road so i more options for plowing.

I have two of my subs with Western wideouts and I am a Vplow man and i mustadmit, those two trucks moved some snow this season, and fast. I am not running out to buy some, but they did run the season trouble free.

I am on my 2nd Blizzard plow and I could never use a regular plow and don't see the V plow advantage in my area as we don't get 2' of snow at a time normaly.
I went from the 8-10 model to the 8611 model and this sucker can move massive amounts of snow. The 8611 low pro is what I would get next time around so I could run it on a 2500-3500 truck. I run a 450 now as the 8611 full size weighs 1500lbs.
The Fisher and western versions look good as well but have not used one. On another site a guy ran the Fisher for a year so far and I think wing edges were the only issue he had but that was solved with a Polar urethane edge I think.
The expanding plows are very productive and thats what it takes to make money in this business.

My friend is dead set on getting this blade for one of his trucks but i am still up in the air. The problem i see with it is pushing banks back or plowing that occasional unplowed driveway that hasnt been touched for 3-4 storms. The V-blade i could cut through the hardened snow enough to start pushing it around. Very hard to do with a straight blade. I have been looking into the stainless 9'6" v-plow which is only 6" narrower when in straight mode. Have to see how much $$$ i make this year, maybe i will buy both :smile5: .

My friend is dead set on getting this blade for one of his trucks but i am still up in the air. The problem i see with it is pushing banks back or plowing that occasional unplowed driveway that hasn't been touched for 3-4 storms. The V-blade i could cut through the hardened snow enough to start pushing it around. Very hard to do with a straight blade. I have been looking into the stainless 9'6" v-plow which is only 6" narrower when in straight mode. Have to see how much $$$ i make this year, maybe i will buy both :smile5: .

I have 2 1/2 mile long driveways with the "fence" to the north, a 6" snow puts 2-3 feet of drift in the drive. The 810 has never not got me in, the nice thing is I can put all the snow south and not make the bank to the north bigger. A 9'6 v to the 810 is still lacking about 20% in capacity of carrying snow, that adds up real fast. I run 2 8110's, 1 8611 lp, ans 1 8611 on the skid loader, the route has went from 10-12 hours to 8, not to mention the fuel I save not running 4 pieces of equipment that extra time.

That looks just like the blizzard to the point I wouldn't be suprised if they licensed it FROM blizzard.. same control, same design, same everything... it's probably just a lower quality blizzard build with a different paint job sold under the Fisher name.

That looks just like the blizzard to the point I wouldn't be suprised if they licensed it FROM blizzard.. same control, same design, same everything... it's probably just a lower quality blizzard build with a different paint job sold under the Fisher name.

:thumbsup:WE have a winner. Same parent company since late 2006, The Blizzard in heaiver bulit in some areas and to me scrapes better.

Picture003.jpg

New style Power plow
Picture007.jpg

From the Backside.
New mount and lights for 2009, blade weights in at 924 plus the mount.

Back