• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Where to set timing for best MPGs?

Burning oil

LeroyDiesel.com
Vendor
Reaction score
Title says it all.
Seems like -1.94 is whats recomended for daily driving, but leans toward the power side. I want this thing to get out of its own way, but would like to maximized MPGs.
As long as I've beed around the 6.5's can you believe I've never had to time a DS4.

As far as i know the only way to time them is with a GM Tech 1, I'm sure it could be done with a lumy probe and probably get better results. Sorry that didn't help much.

More advance to a point is less fuel consumption. The point is past when the timing tries to drive the piston back down on the compression stroke. These engines leave the factory with timing adjusted to keep it under the NOx limits on the valve cover sticker. The DS4 is computer controlled so advancing the pump just places the closing of the spill valve further up the ramp. You need a tune to change timing more than a ramp position change allows.

http://www.oliverdiesel.com/tech/timing.htm

I have the GMTD Scan Tool :hihi:

Thanks Joshua, Ive seen that article. Good info.

Its allways a learning curve doing something for the first time.

Back