• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

When to change trans fluid and internal filter?

Smokin139

Reaction score
When do you need to do these? im on my 3rd spin on filter in 31k miles, just wondering when you change the fluid and internal filter. I drive it hard, i pull trailers and fords often, and use my truck everyday. Thanks

for me i'm going with 25K intervals roughly. I had the trans rebuilt by mike L at 25K and now i'm at 55 K now and I want to change to synthetic as soon as I pick up the internal filter.

just for a reference my fluid doesnt look or smell bad and I change my spin on every 5K miles

I do my spin on at every 3rd oil change. I change the engine oil between 3500 and 4500 miles

10000 to 25000 miles for spin on depending on driving habits. internal filter does not need to be changed unless tranny rebuild. the oil is changed, again depending on driving habits 50k to 75k regular, 100k to 150k for synthetic oil.

I would change the fluid at about 50K and the spin on filter about every 25K. Internal filter only gets replaced when there is internal transmission repairs done.

Have you thought of picking yourself up a deep pan from either ATS or Mag-Hytec to put on when you change your fluid? Cheap insurance, will keep your fluid and trans cooler... :)

DO NOT CHANGE INTERNAL FILTER!

Unless you are changing the pan to a deep. This is per both GM and Allison, it is only to be changed when the trans is overhauled. Its only a screen anyways, changing it wont help.

Here are two links worth saving if you have a Allison Auto

Frequently Asked Questions: Service: Allison Transmission

Frequently Asked Questions: Service: Allison Transmission

Hope this clears a little air,
Tony

When I changed mine it looked like it was more than just a screen. It is suggested to change the internal filter at 50,000 miles.

I change the fluid in mine annually, just the drain plug though, not a full flush, usually about 20k miles, spin on every six months. They're pretty cheap from an Allison dealer.

I just talked to mike L. his recomendation is 50K max on the internal filter. so for me since i'm only at 25K since he did the trans I can just change the fluid ( i'm going to amsoil torq drive )then when I get to 50K on the trans drop the pan and do the internal filter and fluid.

I change my trans oil & filter every 30K. The dealer said I should change the internal screen at each change. I don't think it'll hurt anything, but it is an extra expense. If I ever switch to a deep pan and syn, I'll probably just change the spin on and replace lost fluid.

JP

I just talked to mike L. his recomendation is 50K max on the internal filter. so for me since i'm only at 25K since he did the trans I can just change the fluid ( i'm going to amsoil torq drive )then when I get to 50K on the trans drop the pan and do the internal filter and fluid.

Ah sounds good, thanks guys, and pete.

I have 265,000 miles on my truck and have done nothing but change the external filter and had the trans flushed by the dealer 4 or 5 times. I just find it hard to swallow that the internal filter should not be changed at some point.

That said, with all the towing and hard miles my truck has got on it I am going to change the internal filter and fluid this week.

I said that about 3 weeks ago and haven't done it yet.:doh:

I was looking at the Allison links provided herein and the fluid is said to have to be Dextron III for the 1000 series trans. My son said the 05 and later trucks have Dextron VI listed as the fluid in the owners manual.

Is the Allison data just not updated or is it OK to use Dextron VI?

Dexron VI is reverse compatible, meaning you can put Dex VI where it calls for Dex III, just not the other way around.

I hope that makes some kind of sense.

I found that Valvoline makes the Dextron III fluid but it is Dextron-Mercon. It is compatible with all the Dextron requirements and the Ford requirements. It is half the price of the Dextron VI fluid.

I found that Valvoline makes the Dextron III fluid but it is Dextron-Mercon. It is compatible with all the Dextron requirements and the Ford requirements. It is half the price of the Dextron VI fluid.

as long as its Dex III. Mercon is Fords Ratings, Dextron is GMs. THeres a few fluids that meet both. Its confusing though.

It was the 6spd trucks that got Dex VI fluid. So 06 model year. If you want to be sure check your manual.

To add to this, i was just diagnosing some troubles on the Allison MH4000 in my dads Motorhome. I saw the reccomend filter changes for it were 12,000 miles, 1 year or 500hrs with Transynd. Without its half. The issue turned out to be a bad alternator, but the tranny needs a service too. And ill be putting Transynd back in it.

If you think just 12 quarts or so of Dex IV is expensive. Go buy 12 gallons of Transynd to fill up the big Allisons.

Tomorrow should be interesting.

Back