• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

When Suppliers turn bad - a detour from hijacking 94DeiselSub's thread.

To the OP,

I’m really sorry to hear about your dealings on this engine!
I’m sort of in your same boat; sometimes it just seems like you can’t win for loosing the most!

A long time ago I had a turd of a long-block Chevy 383 stroker built by a machinist referred to me by a friend (who greatly apologized for the outcome afterwards). It had a Scat 9000 (cast $200) crank that I wanted internally balanced. This yahoo billed me $1200 just for the balance job, and only another $2K to assemble the short-block (I supplied all the parts)!

Needless to say, I cut him the 2nd check, scooped up my parts, called the bank and canceled the check. I brought it to a reputable machine shop, which found all kinds of goodness, like the crank had an almost interference to the block in several places. These areas were already “machined” by the first bozo. The timing chain was taunt like it had a 1000Lbs hanging from it, it needed a +10thou chain; the first bozo was supposed to of done a line hone job - NOT! Anyway I could go on, you get the point!

I feel your pain!:mad2:

Last edited:
Ok I chose harsh words. Sorry 'bout that. Ted/635 I'm just trying to see why you thought, given the long infamous history of the 6.2/6.5, that some *engine builder* could make one bulletproof after all these years of high numbers of failed attempts. Let alone with a cast crank.

Red Flag.

Like MGW, I too feel any warranty given by a 'builder' especially knowing (well, maybe not) all the variables of TURBOCHARGING, WMI, NITROUS, PROPANE, BIGGER FUEL RATE etc, etc, should throw a few red flags. I would have a "builder" like this under a microscope even with a warranty.

Did the warranty include engine R+R?

12. The day I got my engine running I found out there was an oil leak. It looked as if it was from the rear main seal. Great! Put the truck on the lift and took the front diff out, removed the oil pan, installed a new seal, and put the whole thing back together. Now my engine looks like it has an oild leak from the rear main seal, again.

Took the crossover pipe off, the lower bellhousing, put the crossover pipe back on and started the engine. Looking between the flexplate and the block I could see oil leaking out what looks like the galley plugs. Had a transmission shop remove the transmission and flexplate, installed 2 new galley plugs, the ones in the engine were finger tight. Put everythign back together and no more oil leak.

13. When taking the engine apart I noticed the King bearing used on the main caps and Clevite bearing being on the engine block side. I guess there was a shortage of bearings from both companies!

13. When taking the engine apart I noticed the King bearing used on the main caps and Clevite bearing being on the engine block side. I guess there was a shortage of bearings from both companies!

That right there would've been a huge red flag for me. I'd have told them to re-do all the bearings(crank,rod,cam) after seeing that, and i'd have inspected it before accepting the engine once the job was re-done.

That right there would've been a huge red flag for me. I'd have told them to re-do all the bearings(crank,rod,cam) after seeing that, and i'd have inspected it before accepting the engine once the job was re-done.

When I got then engine, and the weather finally got good enough to install it, I hadn't even thought of a need to tear it apart. I just wanted it in the truck and to be able to drive it again. But first fix I had to fix the rear main seal, which wasn't the problem! I found out about the 2 different bearing when taking the engine apart.

Bummer to have happened.
If I understand correctly, you discovered the King bearing when dissassembling the motor this summer after the sucker broke, not when you were chasing the leaking galley plugs over a year ago?

Bummer to have happened.
If I understand correctly, you discovered the King bearing when dissassembling the motor this summer after the sucker broke, not when you were chasing the leaking galley plugs over a year ago?

I really had no reason to take the engine apart when I got it. The time and very intricate work done in this engine assembly was perfect, or so I thought. But when it broke I, and the others in the shop, saw the intricate work!

Sorry for the question, but could someone explain the difference between the "King" and "Clevite" bearings?....I think I've heard of Clevite being very good quality, but is a king bearing just not up to (Specs) the job?....Or is it a mismatch situation?

Please elaborate......I have no experience rebuilding engines, for sure not the technical specs of these bearings.

King bearing are very good. I believe they sponser a Nascar racer but I'm not sure.

What King says about their bearing is they have "Extreme imbedability". (Not sure of the spelling)

They are a softer bearing, just not made for the high compression of diesel engines, my engine was 20:1.

Mixed matched bearing work well in some applications. But not in mine, and I found that out the hard way.

Seems a little strange, again, that the rods, pistons, camshaft, lifters, and gasket kit isn't here yet when I was told they would be shipped by Tuesday, last week! So over at the shop today and was checking out the heads before they went on the 6.2 engine. Seems the valve keepers were a little mismatched on one valve. Hmm.... That would of been really nice to have another part, no same part but in a different area, go bad!

Well after many calls Benny at Avant Salvage/Diesel Depot and many not answered calls Benny sends me a text message with the UPS tracking numbers for my missing parts. I called and asked him if all the parts were included. The camshaft, lifters, rods, pistons, gasket kit, and bearing. I mean what's the hurry, the engine broke in March, Diesel Depot did receive the broken parts in April and now it is January. Wow the parts arrived minus the pistons, gasket kit, and bearing.

Now that is good customere service and they really stand behind their warranty claim.

Also, not included, was a check for $640 they agreed on as money for labor to rebuild the engine.

Well after many calls Benny at Avant Salvage/Diesel Depot and many not answered calls Benny sends me a text message with the UPS tracking numbers for my missing parts. I called and asked him if all the parts were included. The camshaft, lifters, rods, pistons, gasket kit, and bearing. I mean what's the hurry, the engine broke in March, Diesel Depot did receive the broken parts in April and now it is January. Wow the parts arrived minus the pistons, gasket kit, and bearing.

Now that is good customere service and they really stand behind their warranty claim.

Also, not included, was a check for $640 they agreed on as money for labor to rebuild the engine.

Unbelievable....:rolleyes5:

Don't forget to list the parts they sent that were out of the USED not new pile.

Don't forget to list the parts they sent that were out of the USED not new pile.

Yes I did forget that little bit. I have been strung out for such a long time and have been told so many times so many different things, small stuff simply gets away from me. Benny did say that all the parts sent to me would be new not used.

The $640 check was for 16 hours of engine rebuild work, at $40 an hour, at the shop in Ellensburg.

Do I get the blame for this too... As I was the first one to get it up to a 100 without seeing any blue lights or smoke heading for the horizon.......

Do I get the blame for this too... As I was the first one to get it up to a 100 without seeing any blue lights or smoke heading for the horizon.......

For those of you not sure of Limey's (Sunshine) comment. When he came over for the races at the Salt Flats, 2 years ago, I picked him up and we did a site seeing trip towards Utah. His turn to drive from Reno towards Wells and strolled right up to the 100mph area and just cruised. But I should blame him for something, even if he didn't do it, just blame him anyway.

Back