• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

When does adding additives add up to to much additive?

Nessmuk

Reaction score
I add power service, biocide, 2 stroke and now an asphaltine treatment. At some point I'm going to start adding some diesel to a tank full of additives. At what point is it going to affect performance or longevity?
All this crap fuel and needing treatments is an expensive joke, and it must come out the tailpipe as something. I want the sulphur in my fuel back.

Power service OR 2 stroke oil... Biocide is a low dose to not really show up. Asphaltene Conditioner appears to have lube so you can drop the first two lubes with it's use. So I only see the need for two additives: Asphaltene Conditioner and Biocide.

Sulfur wasn't a lube: it's the process to remove sulfur that ruins the lube of diesel.

Unless the truck sits a lot and only uses a tank every 6 months or so, am not so sure that biocide is necessary in every fill.

About what others posted I add stuff according to season, use, and maintenance. If I know my fuel is going to sit a while I biocide otherwise its only a maintenance dose one in a while if the truck is going to sit long enough for it to "soak".

IMO
Fuel is regionally refined and distributed so it all starts the same therefore distributors and stations make the difference. Distributors cover a wide area and deliver to all brands of stations usually so the biggest difference is the pumps and stations. The big thing for me is buy fuel from high turn over quality stations. Avoid small stations with dirty pumps, poor maintenance practices (known or observance of facilities), and or low turnover.

Pick an additive you like and use it as desired no sense in going crazy adding all kinds of stuff that does the same thing. Also fill up before at 1/4 tank and you will get some residual so IMO ok to skip occasional tank if you fill at 1/4 or more with good fuel station is fine (except cold weather issues). I use some stuff for periodic maintenance. I don't feel like I have to run cleaner all the time more as maintenance. I like to switch it up and run something different thinking what the heck sometimes different cleaner will work on stuff one is not cleaning. Biocide you are suppose to run the different kind occasionally anyway.

Living in a 4 season area like I do I simply use Power Service year around in the silver bottle for temperatures above 40 deg and white bottle in winter. Never an issue with that in the last 12 years.

i have a source for sulfur diesel. i add the recommended dose of cetane because it's been sitting a few years. truck runs way better on it. good price too.

Nice score. There is a gal that owns a tires to oil/ fuel plant in Texas. No clue where she is seling it, but if if that is your source, score! Super high sulfur synthetic diesel.

no it's not. it's being stored in a locomotive. about 4000 gallons left from a 5000 gallon tank. i'm on my 2nd tank. 1st i didn't add cetane and mileage suffered. about 1/2 through this tank.

if i paid for kero or #2, yes. i get this at a much better price. cetane cost 15.00 to treat 250 gallons. that costs .06¢ a gallon better.

Back